Reefkinetics Reefbot

Pife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a guy in a Facebook group with one. Has pictures of the internals the app everything. It was over in Dubai and bought one and they asked him to return it as that one wasn't supposed to be for sale. They rushed him one here do United States in 4 days. Looks pretty awesome from everything I've seen.

ESH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd order one now, but I keep getting an error message at check out. Because they are based out of Lebanon, my card company keeps flagging it as fraud.

edit: never mind, 3rd time's a charm I guess. Says transaction was successful so hopefully I'll have one coming soon!

ESH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like anything new, I completely expect there to be some issues with how it functions. My understanding is any issues will likely be with the software - which with feedback to Reef Kinetics will get updates and worked out.

What I like about this is it will test for some things that I normally wouldn't test on a regular basis out of sheer laziness. It does not control any dosing, so even if a test is off, any input that goes into the system comes from me. I think if you go into something new like this thinking its an end all solution then that's where you run into trouble. It's a new product, in order to get my trust I will definitely be checking results to other testers.

OP
OP
reefwiser

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This has been a long journey to get to a product someone can purchase. It started as a personal need and thru all the last 5 years It has turned into a product. This is not a mass made product this is made by a passionate Aquarium hobbyist. An it does work because he has spent years working on just this product. It is not made in China it is made by a very small group of people.

ESH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely have high hopes for it! Some initial thoughts...

I got the App on my phone, and it seems pretty straightforward and easy to use. It looks like the initial setup uses a bluetooth connection, and then you can switch to wifi. I don't see any instruction manuals online, so I'm only speculating on this, but I read a post that someone asked if its using a raspberry pi for wifi/blue tooth connection - though I didn't see or skipped over the answer if it does or not. I have an Alkatronic, which uses the same thing, and you can only have bluetooth or wifi connected at any given time. The initial setup and getting it connected to wifi took a bit of tinkering but once up and running it works great.

Also, I like how there is both the App, and online Dashboard to view results and schedule tests.

Only thing I don't see listed is how many of those brown test bottles it comes with and replacement caps. Overtime I can see those as a wear and tear item and would like to know where to get them. I'm counting 8 vials in the Bot picture, and in the video posted above I saw a side cradle holding more - great idea to switch out for different tests. The tests I plan to have going are the red sea magnesium - 3 vials, Tropic Marin Phosphate - 3 Vials (never used this one - all other similar test kits for phosphate I have use powder such as the Hanna checker), which leaves 2 more vials free in the bot. API nitrate might be my initial go to here as Im not sure what else there is for liquid nitrate based tests. I plan to switch out the red sea Ca and kH test kits as well. I can image that switching these things out should be pretty straight forward, Im not sure what the calibration process will be, if any, each time something is changed out. Hopefully future software updates will bring in more test kits.

A bit random, but some sort of how to on printing off labels for the vials could be a useful link on the Reef Kinetic dashboard to help with vial organization. I know how to do this, but not everyone does. Maybe a pre formatted word doc with all the listed test kits and their additives would make this a lot easier for everyone.

ESH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worth sharing - once you setup an account, this email comes automatically with setup pdf instructions

Quick startup guide: https://s3.amazonaws.com/reefkinetics-downloadable-content/Quick+Startup+final.pdf
User Manual: https://s3.amazonaws.com/reefkinetics-downloadable-content/Manual+.pdf

email
"Dear Eric H...!

Thank you for signing up to Reef Kinetics. We’re thrilled to have you on board.

Getting Started

The best way to get started is to download our latest Quick Start Up Sheet and our User Manual. Everything you need for operating your ReefBot is found here.

Few tips to keep in mind
  • Please refer to this Quick Start Up Sheet as we always update it for better customer experience.
  • Connect the Tank and RODI tips on the ReefBot with the 1 meter tube and the Waste tip with the 2 meter tube sent in your ReefBot kit.
  • It is very important to shake the reagents very well for 2-4 minutes before adding them to our glass vials or as indicated on the test kit.
  • Do not forget to add 1 magnetic stirrer in each of the chambers during calibration and while performing any tests.

We’re here to help!

If you have any questions or for any assistance, please check out our customer support portal or contact our team on [email protected].

Email Verification

This step is optional. However, if you want to verify your account please click on the below link
(omitted)

Happy Reefing!
Reef Kinetics Team"

Seems easy enough to me! Maintenance is listed in the manual, such as replacing the pumps for the system every 6 months of continued use. So where do we get these pumps?

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like anything new, I completely expect there to be some issues with how it functions. My understanding is any issues will likely be with the software - which with feedback to Reef Kinetics will get updates and worked out.

What I like about this is it will test for some things that I normally wouldn't test on a regular basis out of sheer laziness. It does not control any dosing, so even if a test is off, any input that goes into the system comes from me. I think if you go into something new like this thinking its an end all solution then that's where you run into trouble. It's a new product, in order to get my trust I will definitely be checking results to other testers.

At 800 plus dollars it should be dang near close to a say all end all in terms of testing those elements and being accurate

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely have high hopes for it! Some initial thoughts...

I got the App on my phone, and it seems pretty straightforward and easy to use. It looks like the initial setup uses a bluetooth connection, and then you can switch to wifi. I don't see any instruction manuals online, so I'm only speculating on this, but I read a post that someone asked if its using a raspberry pi for wifi/blue tooth connection - though I didn't see or skipped over the answer if it does or not. I have an Alkatronic, which uses the same thing, and you can only have bluetooth or wifi connected at any given time. The initial setup and getting it connected to wifi took a bit of tinkering but once up and running it works great.

Also, I like how there is both the App, and online Dashboard to view results and schedule tests.

Only thing I don't see listed is how many of those brown test bottles it comes with and replacement caps. Overtime I can see those as a wear and tear item and would like to know where to get them. I'm counting 8 vials in the Bot picture, and in the video posted above I saw a side cradle holding more - great idea to switch out for different tests. The tests I plan to have going are the red sea magnesium - 3 vials, Tropic Marin Phosphate - 3 Vials (never used this one - all other similar test kits for phosphate I have use powder such as the Hanna checker), which leaves 2 more vials free in the bot. API nitrate might be my initial go to here as Im not sure what else there is for liquid nitrate based tests. I plan to switch out the red sea Ca and kH test kits as well. I can image that switching these things out should be pretty straight forward, Im not sure what the calibration process will be, if any, each time something is changed out. Hopefully future software updates will bring in more test kits.

A bit random, but some sort of how to on printing off labels for the vials could be a useful link on the Reef Kinetic dashboard to help with vial organization. I know how to do this, but not everyone does. Maybe a pre formatted word doc with all the listed test kits and their additives would make this a lot easier for everyone.

In a video the creator states the only think that would have to be changed is the needle

ESH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres what I'm reading, Page 16 of the Manual - 6 months for a peristaltic pump head seems about right. Very similar to what other companies are recommending for replacement though usually its just the hose that needs to be changed out.
Cleaning and Maintenance
Poorly maintaining your ReefBot dramatically affects the test results.
In that regards, kindly make sure that any replaced part is compatible with the ReefBot, and as per the following best practices:
• Replace needle and syringe every 50 tests or whenever needed
• Replace the heads of all pumps:
• every six months, or
• at any sign of malfunctioning​
• Clean the reaction and rinsing chamber every 100 tests or whenever needed by following the procedure below:
• Soak both chambers with warm (not hot) water for about two minutes
• Scrub firmly with tissue paper or a small brush​
• Always check that RODI has 0 TDS or it will dramatically affect some tests, e.g Magnesium

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope it reminds you for each maintenance chore. For the price, I hope
Heres what I'm reading, Page 16 of the Manual - 6 months for a peristaltic pump head seems about right. Very similar to what other companies are recommending for replacement though usually its just the hose that needs to be changed out.
Cleaning and Maintenance
Poorly maintaining your ReefBot dramatically affects the test results.
In that regards, kindly make sure that any replaced part is compatible with the ReefBot, and as per the following best practices:
• Replace needle and syringe every 50 tests or whenever needed
• Replace the heads of all pumps:
• every six months, or
• at any sign of malfunctioning​
• Clean the reaction and rinsing chamber every 100 tests or whenever needed by following the procedure below:
• Soak both chambers with warm (not hot) water for about two minutes
• Scrub firmly with tissue paper or a small brush​
• Always check that RODI has 0 TDS or it will dramatically affect some tests, e.g Magnesium

ESH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a good idea. Not sure if it does. My thermostat reminds me to change my air filter, my apex has a customizable feature to set reminders for chores too, so I can't see why this wouldn't be able to have something like that for it.

I hope it reminds you for each maintenance chore. For the price, I hope

MyReefRobbedMe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re on sale now , I Just ordered one , The First 100 people can get 100.00 of by using “RKLOVESYOU” at checkout.

Also can any official speaker of the reef bot chime in on where to buy replacement parts .

MyReefRobbedMe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang wish I knew about the code! Too late for that I suppose. Mines scheduled to arrive tomorrow.

How long did it take ? I too had same problem at check out . My bank wouldn’t let me order it until I called em up

ESH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long did it take ? I too had same problem at check out . My bank wouldn’t let me order it until I called em up

They shipped Monday and DHL says it got local and cleared customs last night, out for delivery today. Hopefully it arrives!
Considering it’s coming from Beirut, pretty darn quick!

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re on sale now , I Just ordered one , The First 100 people can get 100.00 of by using “RKLOVESYOU” at checkout.

Also can any official speaker of the reef bot chime in on where to buy replacement parts .
I too just notice email to buy. IT'S COMING!!!!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 13 18.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 46 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.8%
Back