ReefLED Power Supply Issue

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

William Robinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
William,
Thanks for keeping us up to date.

Does your new one have "no" flickering with smooth led output?

Freddie
No Flicker to the new light. Smooth transitions. I bought this IR thermometer today and the power supply temperature is 134F after a few hours a peaks.
IMG_20190711_155835.jpeg

jeffyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking of getting the reefled lights but holding back to see what happens. Question for buyers in US locations. Does the PSU accept 110v-240v input? Or just 110V?

William Robinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
William,
Thanks for keeping us up to date.

Does your new one have "no" flickering with smooth led output?

Freddie

Hey Freddie, I'm sorry I just noticed your reply. That would be correct. No more flicker or "shade change" Its tough to describe what I was seeing as a flicker as it was so subtle I would only catch it from time to time out of the corner of my eye. Now with the whole new setup there is no issue. I do notice that these power supplies do run hotter than what most of us are probably use to. Definitely more hot than any of my AI light power supplies. Now the lights themselves are MUCH cooler than any of my AI's. Red Sea did a fantastic job of heat sink design and cooling. the fans are virtually completely silent.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had mine for about a month, one of mine shut off last night. I check the power supply and they where all so hot you could barely touch them. I've also noticed the flicker.

I would get Red Sea to make it right, like William did.

Welcome to Reef 2 Reef, and hope you feel at home.

averystang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sent them something on their site and still haven't heard back anything from them as of yet
my local lfs doesn't have any more in stock, I don't want to have to buy something else to replace them.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just measured the bottom of the power supply case. Comes in at 164F, 30 degree warmer than the top.
IMG_20190711_160432.jpeg

Yikes. Most power supplies I know of will shut off before they reach that temperature. I would ask Red Sea what the cutoff temperature is.... because its getting to the not-so-safe zone.

You could cook an egg on that. That would be an EXCELLENT video, if Red Sea says that is "normal".

RedSeaKev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Folks, a little clarity for you regarding hot power supplies, There have been a few reports of the power supplies being overly hot, however, since this could be due to a number of different issues we are dealing with each case individually, including replacing parts as and when appropriate. if you believe you have an issue please submit a Tech Support Form https://www.redseafish.com/tech-support-inquiry/ as for the flickering again a few things worth mentioning, if you have cloud simulation loaded this can be seen as flickering, also if the LED is running hot for any reason the intensity is automatically reduced, this can also be seen as flickering, if you are concerned feel free to drop me an email to [email protected] and I will be happy to check the performence of your ReefLED Thank you.

alprazo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I recorded 197 F today.

20190727T174248.jpg
20190727T174314.jpg 20190727T174102 2.jpg

BigWheeze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined for this. I bought 4 and all supplies are extremely hot, but two of them won’t stay on for more than a couple hours before they cut off. I’m guessing they’re going to have to recall/replace a bunch of power supplies. Otherwise I love the app and lights, thankfully I’m cycling so I don’t actually have to have it working right now.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined for this. I bought 4 and all supplies are extremely hot, but two of them won’t stay on for more than a couple hours before they cut off. I’m guessing they’re going to have to recall/replace a bunch of power supplies. Otherwise I love the app and lights, thankfully I’m cycling so I don’t actually have to have it working right now.

Welcome to Reef 2 Reef.

Help, and all the info you need, is posted on, post # 30.

Again,
Welcome to Reef 2 Reef, and hope you feel at home.

Last edited:

Ly78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been wanting to upgrade and been looking at waiting for these lights. But looking at this issue might pass since im in asia and not sure how good the support is here.

alprazo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far, the light they produce and the app has been great. I hope the remedy is just a converter swap. With a desktop fan blowing directly on them from 4 inches away, the temp stays just under 100 F. Warm, not hot. Waiting for a reply to see what they recommend,

BigWheeze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I can’t find any fault in the light itself. In fact the recessed LED feature is amazing for people without canopies in my opinion. Color and shimmer are great. Hopefully this is just a bad batch of power supplies.

DanH86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this issue too - burnt my fingers on the reef90 power supplies today. Currently cycling the tank so hadn’t had the lights on but thought I’d see how it looked so had them on for an hour and they were too hot to touch. Have submitted a tech report on their website, cannot be right!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This is the third time I have read of Overly Hot power supplies from Red Sea. They best investigate this all before the result is a fire and a huge Lawsuit.
Glad you got positive results at the end.

DanH86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kev @ Red Sea was good enough to sort me out a pair of replacement power supplies, received in 2 days, great service. Slightly different to my existing ones and seem to be running cooler. They’re still warm/hot but not to the point of burning skin or melting plastic. Will run them properly tomorrow and see how they do.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back