Refractometer calibration solution

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long is refractometer calibration solution suppose to be good for? The only reason I ask is I had a bottle that was around 2 years old. Used it to calibrate my refractometer every couple of weeks. I've been noticing some upset corals in my tank and I wrote it off as stress from the move. But as I near the end of my bottle I couldnt help but think that maybe my salinity is off. So I purchased a brand new bottle of refracto juice from BRS and went to recalibrate my refractometer and OMG it was so far off I almost fell over! So I tested my display tank and I'm floating around 1.30!! So I'm currently doing a water change with fresh saltwater that's been new solution tested to bring salinity down. Has anyone else ever come across this? I always thought if you left the cap on no evaporation would occur so then solution would always keep its salinity....this has been a first for me.

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long is refractometer calibration solution suppose to be good for? The only reason I ask is I had a bottle that was around 2 years old. Used it to calibrate my refractometer every couple of weeks. I've been noticing some upset corals in my tank and I wrote it off as stress from the move. But as I near the end of my bottle I couldnt help but think that maybe my salinity is off. So I purchased a brand new bottle of refracto juice from BRS and went to recalibrate my refractometer and OMG it was so far off I almost fell over! So I tested my display tank and I'm floating around 1.30!! So I'm currently doing a water change with fresh saltwater that's been new solution tested to bring salinity down. Has anyone else ever come across this? I always thought if you left the cap on no evaporation would occur so then solution would always keep its salinity....this has been a first for me.
Yes, this is very likely, even inevitable maybe. It’s why I really advocate Dr. RhF DIY refractometer solution. Just make a new batch every 4-6 months and keep it tightly sealed in the mean time. Prevents this issue all together. Glad you are getting it rectified.

Ironically, salinity is one of the most important parameters to measure effectively and monitor, but it is pretty difficult to measure by hobbyists. I found a smoking deal on a lab grade conductivity meter and probe. Bought a box of conductivity calibration solution packets. Set for a decade, it’s quite a relief.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-06/rhf/index.php

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, this is very likely, even inevitable maybe. It’s why I really advocate Dr. RhF DIY refractometer solution. Just make a new batch every 4-6 months and keep it tightly sealed in the mean time. Prevents this issue all together. Glad you are getting it rectified.

Ironically, salinity is one of the most important parameters to measure effectively and monitor, but it is pretty difficult to measure by hobbyists. I found a smoking deal on a lab grade conductivity meter and probe. Bought a box of conductivity calibration solution packets. Set for a decade, it’s quite a relief.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-06/rhf/index.php
My biggest concern is how long has it been this badly off. My sps haven't been coloring up for quite some time. Its possibly my salinity has been high for the past 8 to 10 months o_O;Jawdrop

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well all I can say is that I have the Red Sea refractometer and I also have both calibration fluid at 35ppm and RODI

I’ve calibrated with both and it makes no difference in my case, so I tend to just use the RODI these days, not forgetting to wipe the glass plate with my shirt! Lol

I’m not arguing against the fluid, it’s good and fine to use it if people prefer.

I tend to just rely on the Apex as well and only do a manual check before a water change.

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biggest concern is how long has it been this badly off. My sps haven't been coloring up for quite some time. Its possibly my salinity has been high for the past 8 to 10 months o_O;Jawdrop
Yes, it’s a big worry. Thus my recommendation that folks create a fresh, precise, accurate and inexpensive calibration solution more often than your quoted time frame. All of our assumptions about ion levels are based off of a seawater salinity reference point.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t feel bad @Crabs McJones , I recently bought a Hanna salinity checked and assumed because it was new it was accurate, wrong, after I calibrated it I found my water salinity at 1.031

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use electronic salinity meter, that gets calibrated with RODI. Very nice to have compared to a refractometer

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t feel bad @Crabs McJones , I recently bought a Hanna salinity checked and assumed because it was new it was accurate, wrong, after I calibrated it I found my water salinity at 1.031
What effects on your coral did you notice? If it sounds anything like what i'm experiencing I can breath a sigh of relief lol

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What effects on your coral did you notice? If it sounds anything like what i'm experiencing I can breath a sigh of relief lol
I noticed it when I did a massive water change this past weekend to get rid of the Reef Flux in my system, for a little while I noticed my Apex salinity probe going up over the past 2 months, didn't think much of it because of the reliability issue with the probe, then after this past weekend I noticed it jump up to 39.8. So by sheer dumb luck I decided to calibrate my Hanna salinity checker and found it at 30.2. after calibration I found that the water I did water change with was high enough that after doing a 40 percent change it raised my salinity in the DT to 1.031. So I am guessing that I have been running my tank at around 1.029 for a couple of months and then this last water change raised it to 1.031. It only stayed that high for a couple of days and then quickly brought it back down to 1.0265 in 2 days. I didn't notice any changes in the frags until I lowered it, now it seems that a couple of my frags have more PE. They do seem happier now though. I did notice some burnt tips on my Bill Murray though, waiting to see how it does. I don't know if it was the Reef Flux or the salinity that caused the burnt tips.

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed it when I did a massive water change this past weekend to get rid of the Reef Flux in my system, for a little while I noticed my Apex salinity probe going up over the past 2 months, didn't think much of it because of the reliability issue with the probe, then after this past weekend I noticed it jump up to 39.8. So by sheer dumb luck I decided to calibrate my Hanna salinity checker and found it at 30.2. after calibration I found that the water I did water change with was high enough that after doing a 40 percent change it raised my salinity in the DT to 1.031. So I am guessing that I have been running my tank at around 1.029 for a couple of months and then this last water change raised it to 1.031. It only stayed that high for a couple of days and then quickly brought it back down to 1.0265 in 2 days. I didn't notice any changes in the frags until I lowered it, now it seems that a couple of my frags have more PE. They do seem happier now though. I did notice some burnt tips on my Bill Murray though, waiting to see how it does. I don't know if it was the Reef Flux or the salinity that caused the burnt tips.
....for the sake of science, I need to see the coral you're referring to called Bill Murry....I feel like I may need it in my life ;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious

But that's great to hear. For a while now i've been struggling trying to get my stuff to color up. I have a jack-o-lantern that is literally hanging by a thread. I'm pretty sure it's not going to make it, but I was changing a bunch of other stuff to try to get it to bounce back. I know my lighting is perfect from my par meter. I thought it was an alk swing but not all corals are showing symptoms. So i'm really really hoping the tank does a complete 180 now that salinity is down to where it should be.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tank has been that high for a long time then I would slowly lower it, maybe over a week or two. My tank was around 1.027-1.029 for a while, then jumped to 1.031 plus for a couple of days which is why I lowered it quickly.

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tank has been that high for a long time then I would slowly lower it, maybe over a week or two. My tank was around 1.027-1.029 for a while, then jumped to 1.031 plus for a couple of days which is why I lowered it quickly.
Oh absolutely, slow and steady is the key ;)

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
....for the sake of science, I need to see the coral you're referring to called Bill Murry....I feel like I may need it in my life ;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious

But that's great to hear. For a while now i've been struggling trying to get my stuff to color up. I have a jack-o-lantern that is literally hanging by a thread. I'm pretty sure it's not going to make it, but I was changing a bunch of other stuff to try to get it to bounce back. I know my lighting is perfect from my par meter. I thought it was an alk swing but not all corals are showing symptoms. So i'm really really hoping the tank does a complete 180 now that salinity is down to where it should be.
I think it will, like I said, not long after I lowered my salinity, maybe a day or two my tank looked happier. I am glad I caught it, just put in several hundred dollars worth of acros yesterday from the Cherry Corals live sale.

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long is refractometer calibration solution suppose to be good for?

My original (now defunct :() LFS recommended 1 year, my new LFS also recommended 1 year. Your experience seems to also indicate about 1 year.
I just ran over to my shelf with a sharpie and wrote a 'replace by' date around the collar of the bottle lol.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calibration solution is simply saltwater...so chemically, it doesn't "go bad.". The only issue I can see happening is evaporation. ...and would guess that's what happened to you.

The other issue with refractrometers that would cause funky numbers is how well and reproducible the little door rests on the angled glass plate. To assure that it is happening the same every time, you need to keep the hinges well lubricated....that saltwater doesn't like those little metal hinge pins. Here's a great article :rolleyes: about lubbing the hinges:

Lubricate Your Refractometer

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use electronic salinity meter, that gets calibrated with RODI. Very nice to have compared to a refractometer

I guess if that's what the manufacturer says to do, that's what you should do, but even way back through high school and college chemistry classes I was always taught to calibrate instruments within the range of expected results. This is why calibration solution is 35ppt, and not 0.

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calibration solution is simply saltwater...so chemically, it doesn't "go bad.". The only issue I can see happening is evaporation. ...and would guess that's what happened to you.

The other issue with refractrometers that would cause funky numbers is how well and reproducible the little door rests on the angled glass plate. To assure that it is happening the same every time, you need to keep the hinges well lubricated....that saltwater doesn't like those little metal hinge pins. Here's a great article :rolleyes: about lubbing the hinges:

Lubricate Your Refractometer
Thank you paul and yes, ever since reading your article when it first came out, I always check that the hinges are swinging well and are lubricated :)

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 23 30.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 60 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.3%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.3%
Back