Refugium lightning question

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Kenpro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

About to start up my Redsea reefer 250 with a custom made sump being 12" W x 15 L and waterdepth 10" in the refugium part 7,54 gallon in size and the reefers display tank is 54 gallon. The display is gonna be lit with a philips coralcare 190w led light running aprox 100% in the middle of the day and ramp up and down to mimick the sun. I should have australian acropora sps and maybe a clam or 2. I read at a guide that refugium light should be 0,06-0.08 watt per liters displaytank if i remember correctly. This means around 14 watt over my refugium. You guys with knowledge, which lamp should i get for good results? I have ordered a kessil h380 before i read the guide but at 90 watt and no power adjustment on the lamp it feels like overkill and maybe this isnt healthy for my system. Is possible to go 1 hour on 1 hour off over the night to lower the lamps effectivity or should i buy another one? For example one kessil h80 is 15watt but many says the algare are hard to get to survive with these lamp.

OP
OP
K

Kenpro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Tim

Is the 0,06-0,08 fuge light watts recommendation something thats up to date for a basesetting to start from?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got the H80 and kind of wish I had gone with the H380. If you have the room, intensity should be to big of an issue if you can mount it far enough off the water surface. And running a reverse cycle sounds go be best. :)

OP
OP
K

Kenpro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking that a pair of cheap e27 30 or 50 watt bulbs with the same spectrum should do the job almost exatly as good as the in the in Sweden 470 dollar kessil lamp. And maybe the cheap bulbs dont penetrate my shallow sump as much and let some dieoff of the algae happen to feed the corals

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 23.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 56 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back