Refugium Refusal : Why would you NOT run a refugium?

Why wouldn't you have a refugium running on your reef tank?

• No Space or equipment

Votes: 211 25.8%
  • Don't think it's worth the extra time or money

Votes: 51 6.2%
  • Tried it and it didn't work out for me

Votes: 61 7.4%
  • I do have a refugium running

Votes: 440 53.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 56 6.8%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The refugium is an auxiliary tank on your main, display tank. It serves as a sort of refuge for both primary producers and primary consumers (i.e. intermediaries) such as pods. There, desirable and beneficial macroalgae are cultivated out of the reach of large, gluttonous herbivores such as tangs. Pods proliferate there too, safe from the constant predatory pressure of small fishes like damsels, gobies, etc. Even so, as the pods reproduce, they drift out of the refugium into the main tank to continuously feed fishes, corals, and so on. As the macroalgal bed grows to maximal carrying capacity, it is harvested and either discarded or (better yet!) fed out as a nutritious live veggie for fish and invert herbivores in the main tank. - Thanks AlgaeBarn

What's not to love about refugiums and why would you not set one up on your reef tank? Let's talk about it!

1. Why don't you have a refugium running on your reef tank?

2. If you are running a refugium tell us about how they are worth setting up and maintaining?

image via @Andrew Mc and his "above his display" refugium.
fullsizeoutput_723.jpg

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With my WC shedule, and my tank is very mature, I have no need for a refuguim. My nutrients stay in check.

On that note, I do run a turf scrubbr which is more or less the same concept of a refugium without the need of extra space.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have zero excess nutrients and have to dose nitrate and phosphate despite feeding heavy. Why would I add chaeto just to remove nutrients I’m deliberately adding?

my next build- I just moved house- is going toninclude a display macro algae refugium, and I’ll dose specifically for that- but I’m not dosing for chaeto. Too ugly. Dragons breath, blue hypnea, shaving brush, manatee grass etc

MarshallB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do run a refugium. I feel they are useful for newer tanks that are not mature enough to uptake all nutrients introduced into the system. My 125 gallon display has been up for almost a year and I have not had to clean algae out of the display tank ever. The refugium will get covered in all kinds of algae, but it takes maybe 10 minutes to clean out and maintain a month.

The refugium is just another type of filtration with added benefits. It's needs to be tuned and adjusted periodically. It's very easy to strip nitrate and phosphate out of the water column when running a refugium. However, they are a great home for microfana like copepods. It also helps buffer your PH at night if ran on a opposite schedule from your display lighting.

In the future when my corals mature into colonies I doubt i will need to rely on the refugium for nutrient control, however i will keep it around on a lower light schedule to keep the pod population up.

PeterB113

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a refugium because I have a 20g long and never knew I needed a one lol. I thought they were just used to grow beneficial algea??

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I simply don't have the need, with my Clarisea and under powered skimmer I still have to dose N/P. I would love a refugium but seems counter productive to have to dose even higher volumes in my case.
Dump.one or the other. I would remove the Clarisea and see how it goes. I don't use any form.if prefiltration.

FBAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Gogol_frag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prefer my waterfall ATS and don't have the space for a good sized fuge.
The refugium is an auxiliary tank on your main, display tank. It serves as a sort of refuge for both primary producers and primary consumers (i.e. intermediaries) such as pods. There, desirable and beneficial macroalgae are cultivated out of the reach of large, gluttonous herbivores such as tangs. Pods proliferate there too, safe from the constant predatory pressure of small fishes like damsels, gobies, etc. Even so, as the pods reproduce, they drift out of the refugium into the main tank to continuously feed fishes, corals, and so on. As the macroalgal bed grows to maximal carrying capacity, it is harvested and either discarded or (better yet!) fed out as a nutritious live veggie for fish and invert herbivores in the main tank. - Thanks AlgaeBarn

What's not to love about refugiums and why would you not set one up on your reef tank? Let's talk about it!

1. Why don't you have a refugium running on your reef tank?

2. If you are running a refugium tell us about how they are worth setting up and maintaining?

image via @Andrew Mc and his "above his display" refugium.
fullsizeoutput_723.jpg
I voted "No space, or equipment".

I don't run a sump to avoid the introduction of a siphon. Also, since I run a Peninsula-style tank, the one-tank-wall for HOBs has already gotten pretty busy with my HOB skimmer (Deltec MCE 601) and a DIY shelf for the Neptune Trident (perched above the water level to avoid a siphon). So I kinda have ran out of space.

Similar to some other posters, I kinda get the benefits of a fuge, but from seperately controlled systems. I run an ATS (SantaMonica Drop 1.6x), which keeps the nutrients in check (sorta) ... Nitrates at 0.03 ppm, Phosphates at 0.22 ppm (this needs work). I also seperately culture rotifers and copepods using culture kits from Reef Nutrition and Poseidon Reef Systems, respectively. My zoo plankton population is off-the-charts.

So, overall this assemblage has worked for me thus far, to help fill my fuge-sized-void. :p

BOWHUNTER4250

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a DD 300 With a 220 basement sump , i have a section that i have marine pure bio balls , live rock pieces and SIPORAX , this is all i need to keep a fairly stocked tank running . SPS dominant , i run a skimmer but only for the air exchange to keep PH up , other than that i don't collect any waste , i run a small amount of GFO to keep Po4 down or i will get cyano , if i run cheato in the fuge my No3 gets too low and coral starts to look pale . I am implementing currently the Moonshine process. ( just started that a few weeks ago )

Attachments

• NEW UPDATED CLEAN PIC OF 300.jpg
    NEW UPDATED CLEAN PIC OF 300.jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 337

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a place in my sump that is setup for a fuge but there is currently nothing in it. I already have a hard time keeping my nitrates and phosphates high enough so I don't want anything else stripping them from the water. If I ever have higher nitrate and phosphate in the future I will add chaeto to it.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back