Refugium with chaeto lighting

luca5927

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I've started my first saltwater tank (15gallon) with an aqua clear 30 hang on back filter. All of my water parameters are in check and the tank is cycled. I've converted my filter to have a space for filter floss, and space for some "clean chaeto". Currently, it is running a 0.7watt led from a basic 1gallon Top Fin tank lid. Will this be enough light for such a tiny refugium, or should I upgrade before I get my chaeto in the mail? My stocking is just a single clownfish and a couple red leg hermit crabs. The volunme of the area where the chaeto will go is only about 300 - 400ml.
IMG_2693.JPG
IMG_2694.JPG
IMG_2695.JPG

Last edited:

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would actually hold off on the chaeto for now. ur bioload is pretty light and it's a new tank You probably won't have enough nutrients to successfully keep chaeto yet. the light is not ideal but even if you upgrade now, without excess nutrients chaeto will fail and melt in your tank, which will release excess nutrients and crash your tank

I would wait until you actually seen algae growing (and not cyano) before introducing chaeto

I posted a few detailed responses for older threads that were asking why their chaeto fuge is failing. I can link a couple in the morning if you can't find them.

Back