Refugium with no skimmer ?

salty_dawg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a reefer 250 v1 with a Red Sea reefer 300 protein skimmer that in my opinion sucks .. I was debating on removing it for an algae scrubber then I was wondering about removing it and just throwing a light and some macro algae there instead.it would save me some cash but would it be proficient enough ? I have a pair of clowns and a chromis and I’m looking to add a tomini and a leopard wrasse and maybe a sand sifter .

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think it sort of depends. . .

You say the skimmer "sucks", so if it isn't removing nutrients and you have enough room to grow chaeto, then yeah going the refugium route is probably the better option.

However, if the skimmer is pulling some nutrients and you don't have a ton of room/the chaeto doesn't grow super well, then you may be in the exact same boat, or maybe worse.

What are your current parameter? What are they without the skimmer? how much room do you have to grow algae?

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd just try another skimmer...

Just in my mind liked all the air the skimmer would add back into the system, along with taking out proteins... I lucked out with our large reef octopus skimmer though :)

OP
OP
salty_dawg

salty_dawg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You say the skimmer "sucks", so if it isn't removing nutrients and you have enough room to grow chaeto, then yeah going the refugium route is probably the better option.

However, if the skimmer is pulling some nutrients and you don't have a ton of room/the chaeto doesn't grow super well, then you may be in the exact same boat, or maybe worse.

What are your current parameter? What are they without the skimmer? how much room do you have to grow algae?
The skimmer only skims when it wants too I have to constantly adjust it I’m just kind of over it . I’m gonna do a water change and check all my prams tonight

OP
OP
salty_dawg

salty_dawg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd just try another skimmer...

Just in my mind liked all the air the skimmer would add back into the system, along with taking out proteins... I lucked out with our large reef octopus skimmer though :)
I should have bought a reef octo I regret this Red Sea one . My buddy is running a fuge no skimmer and his tank is pristine

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The skimmer only skims when it wants too I have to constantly adjust it I’m just kind of over it . I’m gonna do a water change and check all my prams tonight
It'll only skim when there's something there. fwiw you only have 3 fish which is a light bio load. Sounds like it might be working as it should :)

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry no skimmer expert here but I do think people expect thick skimmate constantly and equate that sometimes to it working or not but that really depends on what is there to be removed

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry no skimmer expert here but I do think people expect thick skimmate constantly and equate that sometimes to it working or not but that really depends on what is there to be removed
Very good observations.

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 tanks now and my 75-gallon is the one I intentionally do not want to do too much work on. I have been running it with just a turf scrubber and no skimmer or any other filtration. At first I was really happy. Nitrates and Phosphates are controlled as well as on my 200 gallon with a skimmer and I had one less thing to maintain.

After 8 months the water has a slight green tint from the algae. I have also started to get some PO4 building up and I can't use lanthanum which is my normal go to. I can add a media reactor with carbon and GFO to help clear things up but then I have to buy and replace the media and maintain the reactor which might be as much work as the skimmer. I am now considering adding the skimmer back. It is work but it does bring real benefits and it may be easier than alternatives.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a reefer 250 v1 with a Red Sea reefer 300 protein skimmer that in my opinion sucks .. I was debating on removing it for an algae scrubber then I was wondering about removing it and just throwing a light and some macro algae there instead.it would save me some cash but would it be proficient enough ? I have a pair of clowns and a chromis and I’m looking to add a tomini and a leopard wrasse and maybe a sand sifter .

The protein skimmer is the sewerage treatment plant of your tank. Personally, I wouldn't run a tank without one, but, if I did, I would rely heavily on water changes.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I having my refugium in my RSR 425 but I use a DC skimmer and love it.
725E40ED-C9EA-428F-970C-6970D45610C4.jpeg

1F3E1976-9F1C-4E75-8922-6881A76AC637.jpeg

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The protein skimmer is the sewerage treatment plant of your tank. Personally, I wouldn't run a tank without one, but, if I did, I would rely heavily on water changes.
Agreed. And also, the tank goes through different stages. Idk if early on it is needed day one; these high end skimmers do a good job and then nutrients get stripped and...you know that story lol :)

OP
OP
salty_dawg

salty_dawg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah my skimmer is either producing nothing or overflowing

currant prams
No3 between 0-5.0 ppm
Ca 450
Alk 11.3
Mg 1350

don’t have anything to test phosphate

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a refugium without a skimmer on a practically water change free system. I do not like skimmers unless you can't manage nitrate production well enough or have oxygenation issues. Skimmers act as sterilizers and remove all of the food that I want my filter feeders and zooplankton to eat.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think skimmers are overrated. I’ve got masses of bubbles from a skimmer pump percolating up through a load of plastic bioballs in the sump. No foam head after a while (a week to ten days) is evidence there’s little to nothing for a skimmer to remove. I give the bioballs a shake now and then to release bacterial stuff for coral to use as food. I mitigate the possibility of toxins building up with UV, activated carbon and small daily waterchanges.

Last edited:
OP
OP
salty_dawg

salty_dawg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a refugium without a skimmer on a practically water change free system. I do not like skimmers unless you can't manage nitrate production well enough or have oxygenation issues. Skimmers act as sterilizers and remove all of the food that I want my filter feeders and zooplankton to eat.
Yeah my buddy does very little water changes also he’s running no skimmer and a Neptune system

OP
OP
salty_dawg

salty_dawg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think skimmers are overrated. I’ve got masses of bubbles from a skimmer pump percolating up through a load of plastic bioballs in the sump. No foam head after a while (a week to ten days) is evidence there’s little to nothing for a skimmer to remove. I give the bioballs a shake now and then to release bacterial stuff for coral to use as food. I mitigate the possibility of toxins building up with UV, activated carbon and small daily waterchanges.
You do daily water changes ?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 69 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.6%
Back