Regal fish not eating

arvind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a week since I added him to the tank. He grazes the rocks and algae on the glass but not touching the food at all. Here are some of the things that I have tried so far:

Frozen foods:
  • Clams on a half shell
  • Fish eggs
  • Hikari Mega Marine Angel
  • LRS
  • Rod's
Dry Food
  • Hikari Marine-S Pellets
  • PE Mysis Pellets
  • Red algae sheets
  • Green algae sheets

Tried soaking the food in Garlic and also Angelixir. Nothing works. One problem is that he seems too timid and just want to spend time alone. When feeding time rest of the fish rush towards the food but this guy quietly stays away from the food.

What do I do? Any tips on how I can cajole this guy to eat?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It's been a week since I added him to the tank. He grazes the rocks and algae on the glass but not touching the food at all. Here are some of the things that I have tried so far:

Frozen foods:
  • Clams on a half shell
  • Fish eggs
  • Hikari Mega Marine Angel
  • LRS
  • Rod's
Dry Food
  • Hikari Marine-S Pellets
  • PE Mysis Pellets
  • Red algae sheets
  • Green algae sheets

Tried soaking the food in Garlic and also Angelixir. Nothing works. One problem is that he seems too timid and just want to spend time alone. When feeding time rest of the fish rush towards the food but this guy quietly stays away from the food.

What do I do? Any tips on how I can cajole this guy to eat?
Try:
Mysis shrimp
Spirulina shrimp

Add garlic extract to the foods which is an enticer for feeding.
IS THE FISH POOPING NORMAL OR WHITE AND STRINGY ?

mtfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think you would have more success if the fish was in QT (not sterile) with live rock and live foods (baby brine, etc). If the other fish are keeping it from eating, I do not see things getting better. QT will give it time to acclimate and start to eat without competition. Another trick to add one fish that is already eating well to QT so show the regal "what food is:. Once eating live foods, then wean it to pellets or frozen. Once eating well, then reintroduce it to the main tank. Good luck.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried fresh clams or oysters.

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you feed with pumps on or off. Try mysis frozen. Please post pictures and try spreading the food around the tank

lefkonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious about other fish in the tank. Maybe the regal feels scared to go up to the food because he is getting picked on. Is the fish thin? Someone already asked about poop but curious. They are tough ones to get eating.

OP
OP
arvind

arvind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious about other fish in the tank. Maybe the regal feels scared to go up to the food because he is getting picked on. Is the fish thin? Someone already asked about poop but curious. They are tough ones to get eating.

He gets picked on by a clown fish sometimes but usually Clown fish is on the other side of the tank. Other fish dont bother him. He does get away if there is too many fish in the vicinity.

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can try keeping the pumps on. The current sometimes makes the fish more active.

MattL22

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy some mussels break them open put whole thing in there hopefully get him picking on it if u get it to start picking on the mussels start adding chopped mussels to water colum good luck tough fish would be easier if islolated in a qt but with a lot of effort I got one eating in my display

OP
OP
arvind

arvind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think you would have more success if the fish was in QT (not sterile) with live rock and live foods (baby brine, etc). If the other fish are keeping it from eating, I do not see things getting better. QT will give it time to acclimate and start to eat without competition. Another trick to add one fish that is already eating well to QT so show the regal "what food is:. Once eating live foods, then wean it to pellets or frozen. Once eating well, then reintroduce it to the main tank. Good luck.

i think i have to bite the bullet and go for this. My only concern would be if the fish eats fine in QT at some point then once i re-introduce back to display would it still be a challenge?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a QT with live rock for shy/picky eaters. It is basically a miniature display tank and it works fantastic to acclimate fish to captivity. Sometimes it takes weeks and sometimes months but by the time they hit the DT they are ready to jump into the chaos and eat with the others without issue. It gives them time to learn to eat without the other fish taking all the food and they end up more confident and don't scare away easily.

Other things I would try:
Live fresh clams (from a market)
Live worms

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use a QT with live rock for shy/picky eaters. It is basically a miniature display tank and it works fantastic to acclimate fish to captivity. Sometimes it takes weeks and sometimes months but by the time they hit the DT they are ready to jump into the chaos and eat with the others without issue. It gives them time to learn to eat without the other fish taking all the food and they end up more confident and don't scare away easily.

Other things I would try:
Live fresh clams (from a market)
Live worms

wrong thread. ignore.

Back