Regal tang infection

Yvonne8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi not sure if this right place im asking on..my regal tang..2 days ago i noticed a couple white dots..called my lfs he said put in filter medium easy life..the spots samed to disappear Wednesday evening..then yesterday Fri morn she looked worst..def looks like infection..i had melafix so put that in..she did come around didnt expect her to be actually alive when i got back from work..now today it looks bad again.shes eating..swimming but struggling agaisnt powerhead..no other fish affected..i put the fish in just last sunday..i had an emperor aswell havent seen her in couple days..plz help..heres pics & vid

1558169087019343460649114519549.jpg

15581691272861993010963618621351.jpg

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the first pic it looks like she has a bad case of ich or possibly even velvet and I think I see an infection. Flukes are very likely as well. You should do a freshwater dip first to check for flukes, here's how to do it

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/freshwater-dip.248898/

Get a qt tank set up right away, do you have any other medications on hand, melafix is more of a natural remedy and isn't going to be effective for what you have going on.

Follow the advice you get from these people @ngoodermuth @4FordFamily @HotRocks @Frtdrmrose7

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely ich present. Velvet is possible too if you are seeing spots disappear and re-appear in a 48 hour time period. This follows the life cycle of velvet pretty closely.

Do you have a QT? All of your fish will need treated.

My recommendation would be to give the fish baths in Ruby Reef Rally and move them all to a QT for a copper treatment while your DT is left fallow for 76 days.

OP
OP
Yvonne8

Yvonne8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What
From the first pic it looks like she has a bad case of ich or possibly even velvet and I think I see an infection. Flukes are very likely as well. You should do a freshwater dip first to check for flukes, here's how to do it

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/freshwater-dip.248898/

Get a qt tank set up right away, do you have any other medications on hand, melafix is more of a natural remedy and isn't going to be effective for what you have going on.

Follow the advice you get from these people @ngoodermuth @4FordFamily @HotRocks @Frtdrmrose7
What will i need for qt..will i do fluke test first..havent got black bucket..

OP
OP
Yvonne8

Yvonne8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely ich present. Velvet is possible too if you are seeing spots disappear and re-appear in a 48 hour time period. This follows the life cycle of velvet pretty closely.

My recommendation would be to give the fish baths in Ruby Reef Rally and move them all to a QT for a copper treatment while your DT is left fallow for 76 days.
What do i need for qt..dont want to lose everything..

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I concur. Swimming in to powerhead is generally velvet. Good luck!

Lowe’s has dark blue buckets that are great for freshwater dips :)

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

+2 or 3? What they said ;)

Sorry your dealing with this, I know it looks and sounds overwhelming to start. Just try to get a list together of everything you need and then tackle one thing at a time.

You can dip the tang first, to check for flukes and give it some relief. The do the rally baths on everyone else as you move them over to the QT...

Once you get them there, start to ramp up copper gradually. Make sure you have a test kit (for whichever copper you decide to use) or a Hanna checker so that you can closely monitor the level. With velvet, it’s best to try to get to therapeutic within 2-3 days tops, but if the fish seem to struggle at any point in time with added copper - it’s ok to bring it back a little with a small water-change and then try again once they have recovered.

Make sure you use a bottled bacteria product to start the QT, and keep a close eye on the ammonia alert badge. Powerhead should be aimed at the surface, and using the bubbler in the QT after the baths are done for extra aeration isn’t a bad idea either. These parasites are hard on the gills, so they can use as much O2 as you can give them.

Good luck! If you get stuck or have questions along the way, post here and we will help ya out!

OP
OP
Yvonne8

Yvonne8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+2 or 3? What they said ;)

Sorry your dealing with this, I know it looks and sounds overwhelming to start. Just try to get a list together of everything you need and then tackle one thing at a time.

You can dip the tang first, to check for flukes and give it some relief. The do the rally baths on everyone else as you move them over to the QT...

Once you get them there, start to ramp up copper gradually. Make sure you have a test kit (for whichever copper you decide to use) or a Hanna checker so that you can closely monitor the level. With velvet, it’s best to try to get to therapeutic within 2-3 days tops, but if the fish seem to struggle at any point in time with added copper - it’s ok to bring it back a little with a small water-change and then try again once they have recovered.

Make sure you use a bottled bacteria product to start the QT, and keep a close eye on the ammonia alert badge. Powerhead should be aimed at the surface, and using the bubbler in the QT after the baths are done for extra aeration isn’t a bad idea either. These parasites are hard on the gills, so they can use as much O2 as you can give them.

Good luck! If you get stuck or have questions along the way, post here and we will help ya out!
Thankyou have dipper ready..getting qt sorted..its just alot to read & sort in my head lol...i prob worry more about these fish than my son lol..not sure about copper or where to get it..

Tyler Bullock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get copper power from amazon. Or go to a LFS and hope they have some copper. Read some threads on her first before you go by what the bottle says. Gradually increase copper. Don't just throw it in to get to the therapeutic levels. I am also talking about in a QT not your DT.

OP
OP
Yvonne8

Yvonne8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah ok...when i dip & nothing comes off...is it not flukes then.

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah ok...when i dip & nothing comes off...is it not flukes then.
That's correct, it's going to be a good starting point so we know everything you're dealing with and it will give her some temporary relief. Let us know the results as soon as you can.

OP
OP
Yvonne8

Yvonne8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi i did a dip nothing came off...i have her in qt shes looking a bit better..but u know what they are like for playing dead ...only treatment i could get locally was api melafix & pimafix ..using both as recommended...goin to get a good look at her tomorrow...feeding her brineshrimp& garlic..plus algae wafers ...thanx for asking...lost an emperor last week but think she was attacked as she looked ok to me..

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 79 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back