Reliable, durable ATO?

Tmm87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly more of a vent than a request (though I am looking for a solid recommendation), but what is the deal with XP Aqua ATOs? I swore by them for a while and now the quality seems to have taken a turn for the worst. Either that or I've had EXTREMELY bad luck.

I've had 6 Duettos in a row that have failed just outside of warranty and after contacting XP Aqua about it I get the same thing..."If your unit isn't under warranty you can buy a replacement for $X". All 6 of the failures have been due to the sensor/controller combo having an issue. I make sure to keep the sensors clean and free of algae and any other build up. Two of the 6 have been stuck "on" and kept pumping the tank full of water, the other 4 seems to be the sensors getting stuck "off" and refuse to pump any water. I know it's not the pumps because I've checked them with the only Duetto that I currently have working and all of the pumps work just fine when the controller/sensor call for water. So I'm at a loss here...

What do you guys use and recommend? For the price that these are I expect them to last longer than just outside of their warranty.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze Osmolator. Have had mine for 3 years and no problems
Think my current osmolator is right around 20 years old. One new pump, and one new sensor. I have another pump laying around(they are super cheap), and the electric sensor(eye) was replaced by @rvitko with a turn around time of just about a week.

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also have an XP Aqua Duetto that has recently gotten stuck in the 'on' position. The sensor is completely covered with salt stain. Pretty disappointed honestly.

xWascallyWabbit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the reefbreeders exo. For about 8 months now. Couldnt be happier. Reasonable price and has yet to fail. Every once in a while perhaps 4 times total I've had to unplug and reply it in as a soft reboot. I'd recommend it if you are looking for a reliable but reasonable option.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Spectrapure and have for 20 ish years. Extremely reliable. I’ve always heard good things about, but never used, Avast and Tunze.

Maximus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Spectrapure for the past 6-7 years. 100% perfect all the time.

Last edited:

_Jake_Simek_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly more of a vent than a request (though I am looking for a solid recommendation), but what is the deal with XP Aqua ATOs? I swore by them for a while and now the quality seems to have taken a turn for the worst. Either that or I've had EXTREMELY bad luck.

I've had 6 Duettos in a row that have failed just outside of warranty and after contacting XP Aqua about it I get the same thing..."If your unit isn't under warranty you can buy a replacement for $X". All 6 of the failures have been due to the sensor/controller combo having an issue. I make sure to keep the sensors clean and free of algae and any other build up. Two of the 6 have been stuck "on" and kept pumping the tank full of water, the other 4 seems to be the sensors getting stuck "off" and refuse to pump any water. I know it's not the pumps because I've checked them with the only Duetto that I currently have working and all of the pumps work just fine when the controller/sensor call for water. So I'm at a loss here...

What do you guys use and recommend? For the price that these are I expect them to last longer than just outside of their warranty.
I love my Neptune ATK, like others have said, if or when you add an apex you can get a lot more out of it too. I have also heard the tunze is great as well.

tsharpe291

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used tunze for years when Neptune came out with there’s I figured I’d give it a try. Failed me twice. Back to the gold standard for me tunze. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

_Jake_Simek_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used tunze for years when Neptune came out with there’s I figured I’d give it a try. Failed me twice. Back to the gold standard for me tunze. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.
The only reason I never got a tunze was because it was never in stock. I guess I see why now Im just curious as to what failed on the ATK?

tsharpe291

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pump failed to kick on, after phone support with Neptune they created a couple virtual outlets to watch the performance and it worked fine for a month or two then it did it again. If I have to set up a support ticket every other month or so it’s not worth it to me. Nothing against Neptune system my whole system is run by it and my experience with support has been good.

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Hydros ATO on one of my tanks, and the AutoAqua Smart ATO on the other ones. Haven't had issues with either. (multiple years on the AutoAquas, a year on the Hydros).

Had a ton of issues with my Tunze, not least of which was the pump being unacceptably loud.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back