Removing baffles in sump

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

As equipment and setup has change quite a bit from my initial plan, I need to redesign my sump and move some baffles.
Since I cannot remove the sump from the cabinet, I need to do this where it is.
My biggest concern is, removing the baffles as I'm scared off ruining the silicone seals in the egdes of the sump, when removing the baffles.

Any tips on how to best remove the baffles without doing harm to the silicone seals in the sump?

Not_Eeyore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best guess... Corner chisel off as much silicone as possible from each side, put a bag of hot water only touching the baffle for 10 mins, and wiggle baffle out.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a pic?

I would Razor blade from both sides removing excess, use a very thin metal measuring tool called the feeler gauge You can get it any auto parts store for five bucks. Use the thickest piece you can get between the gap, hold it from both sides and slide the feeler gauge between the baffle and the walls of the sump. It should be free.

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a pic?

I would Razor blade from both sides removing excess, use a very thin metal measuring tool called the feeler gauge You can get it any auto parts store for five bucks. Use the thickest piece you can get between the gap, hold it from both sides and slide the feeler gauge between the baffle and the walls of the sump. It should be free.
Its not between the glass parts I see an issue.
In the bottom corners the baffles are siliconed to the sumps original silicone which can't be damages unlesd I want a leaky sump (I really don't want a leaky sump)

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not between the glass parts I see an issue.
In the bottom corners the baffles are siliconed to the sumps original silicone which can't be damages unlesd I want a leaky sump (I really don't want a leaky sump)
You maybe slightly overestimating the amount of digging you would need to do in that corner in order to break the seal to the outside. So long as you separate the silicone, it's not going to pull your silicone out of the seam.

Once you have the side seams free, can you rock the baffle in one direction and use a razor blade to cut your corner silicone as close to the glass as you can keep the blade?

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fishing line works, use it like floss. Working on a sump while it's in place seems like a hugeeee PITA.
I will probably be the cause of much suffering and swearing.

Once you have the side seams free, can you rock the baffle in one direction and use a razor blade to cut your corner silicone as close to the glass as you can keep the blade?
True. I might just be able to remove the silicone from the baffle, and afterwards remove the leftovers. Good idea.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back