Removing Cheto to keep nitrates near 10 ppm

frankieg2293

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been having a hard time keeping my nitrates up around 10 I keep dosing nitrogen just to keep it up, it will jump to 10-11 and in a week it drops down to around 5ppm or less My thoughts were to take out about a third of my macro algae in hopes that it won’t suck out al my nitrates . Is this a bad idea? My tank is about 7 months old btw. Any thoughts?

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been having a hard time keeping my nitrates up around 10 I keep dosing nitrogen just to keep it up, it will jump to 10-11 and in a week it drops down to around 5ppm or less My thoughts were to take out about a third of my macro algae in hopes that it won’t suck out al my nitrates . Is this a bad idea? My tank is about 7 months old btw. Any thoughts?
Removing the chaeto is a good idea and if they still keep going down past the partial chaeto removal it may mean that you won’t need macro algaes at all to aid nutrient control.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about my skimmer? I turned that off too ...
I don’t recommend turning the skimmer of as they usually help with gas exchange, you can instead dial back and still keep it on.

Reducing the photo period in the Refugio could be beneficial also in this situation.
Do you have filter socks in the tank

OP
OP
frankieg2293

frankieg2293

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t recommend turning the skimmer of as they usually help with gas exchange, you can instead dial back and still keep it on.

Reducing the photo period in the Refugio could be beneficial also in this situation.
Do you have filter socks in the tank
I do have socks 3

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tank that nitrates stay around 15ppm with chaeto and skimmer running, this for several years. I have a second tank that runs barely a trace of no3 and has been running for a few years as well with no skimmer. Chaeto used to grow so fast in that sump I was selling it here then it all died. Nitrates are still barely detectable so I'm going to start dosing sodium nitrate only because I'm haveing with a go at sps and some of the frags are browning. I've come to the conclusion that every tank is different and it just takes time to get them dialed in. I also never worried about 1 tank having almost none and the other 15ish. I just watch livestock and only change things if they are unhappy not just because I want to be at a certain number. Filter socks on both and I change them when they are overflowing because I'm lazy like that. Also at only 7 months I wouldn't get to worked up over nitrates being at 5 instead of 10 unless there is something in the tank that needs 10 instead of 5. I would let the tank mature and settle in JMO.

Last edited:

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When they over flow so like every 4 days or so
You could try and change them every 2 days instead, the reason I am suggesting this is that nitrogen is the first step of decaying organic biomass the longer it stays in contact with the water organic carbon will start to also be release and that can influence the lowering of nitrates.

OP
OP
frankieg2293

frankieg2293

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try and change them every 2 days instead, the reason I am suggesting this is that nitrogen is the first step of decaying organic biomass the longer it stays in contact with the water organic carbon will start to also be release and that can influence the lowering of nitrates.
Wow really? you would think the more dirty the better.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow really? you would think the more dirty the better.
It will depend on your tank needs some thanks are limited in nitrogen other are limited in carbon or phosphorus, your may have a abundance in carbon that causes nitrogen to lower, the algae will have a influence on those limitations. Regarding the sock the release of ammonia from decay matter is one of those things that just happens it doesn’t need bacteria and it’s the first step of decaying matter, the longer that decaying organic matter will stay in contact with tank water the further heterotrophic bacteria will utilise/transform the other nutrients that may not be beneficial for you at present time.

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cutting back your macroalgae is a great way to naturally allow your nitrates to rise as the consumption rate of it for the macroalgae won't be as great. Depending on how long you have had the chaeto/the size of it, it may be time to prune it back anyways :) -Raven

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When you have chaeto in your refugium does it consistently grow or do you see it die off or become dormant?

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 175 72.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 45 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back