Removing Duncan coral from plug. Need Help

  • Thread starter Thread starter ScottyD36
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

ScottyD36

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 7, 2020
Messages
578
Reaction score
259
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have a Duncan coral that is on a plug that is getting covered in hair Algae. I am trying to see how I can remove the Duncan coral from its plug to glue onto a new one. Is it like other corals where I just use a razor blade and remove it or will this stress it out. I understand this isnt long term solution for my hair algae in tank but it is a easy option to remove a chunk of algae if i am able to refrag.
 
Has it encrusted itself to the plug or is it still kinda new.
 
It might be easier to use a toothbrush to clean the frag/duncan off really well. You might find that you transfer plugs only to have algae grow on the new one
 
With Pliers or hemostats take hold of base of coral then gently tap the plug on something should pop off. Or if you have bone cutters that will fit you can cut the glue with them. Razor probably won't work.
 
If you can't just pop it off by prying a flat tweezers under the stem or glue, then I'd just keep it intact and dip the plug in H2O2 stopping at the skeleton.
 
Duncans don't encrust




I just started keeping Duncan's in the last month and was not aware that they dont ever attach themselves to rock work or plugs. Learn something new everyday in this hobby. Makes me wonder how they attach to rock in the wild like other corals.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new