Removing rock anemones

NanoreefingMP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I want to transfer my rock anemones to a new system how would I go about getting the RFA to release the foot from the rock.
Thanks in advance!!

OP
OP
N

NanoreefingMP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I’m trying to start an anemone tank. I’m trying to go Minimal on the scape. I have about 6 to move off of rocks

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. I need to move about 5 anemones off of their rocks because I don't want to reuse my current rock as the nem island has bryopsis and bubble algae. Going to be moving to a minimalistic scape as well as someone above, up to a 90g :)
I think I'm going to try ice cubes in a bag on the base of it, but the feet can go pretty far down in my rocks.

estebanb450

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 25 BTA I put a power head in front of them when they get out of line 425 gallon hydor. And after a while they move on there own or start to detach there foot and have leverage to move them some of them love the direct flow this I put rock rubble around. Them to block the light and they move onto the rock rubble then place them where I want them.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can wait, I think the best way is to cover it with a piece of PVC so it has to move through the PVC to get to the light. Use a length long enough so it has to detach from the rock to move through the PVC.

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubble tips ive had good luck just using my fingernail under their foot and being patient. For RFA's and Maxi mini's however i have not successfully removed them from rock or even glass. the 2 i tried when i did my last tank move did not survive the ordeal and i felt terrible :(

Merv49

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 25 BTA I put a power head in front of them when they get out of line 425 gallon hydor. And after a while they move on there own or start to detach there foot and have leverage to move them some of them love the direct flow this I put rock rubble around. Them to block the light and they move onto the rock rubble then place them where I want them.
Look at this.

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take out the rock and tap behind, generally directly behind the where the foot is situated, with something. I tend to use the back of screw diver. Don't tap hard enough to break your rock but you definitely want the rock anemone to feel it. Keep tapping and they will pop out pretty quickly. Works the same when your draining your QT tank and ready to move them. Drain the tank, and tap on the back of the glass where they have their foot situated. They will eventually let go. Some can take several minutes and some will pop off pretty quick. I prefer this method over everything else.

I found this technique out by accident one day when I was trying to put a hole in a rock, for a BTA, that had several RFAs on it. They all popped off the rock while I was working on it for just a few minutes... and its been a good technique ever since.

OP
OP
N

NanoreefingMP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Talking about rock nems...NOT bubble tips... Bubbles tend to wander easier than rock nems.
So you were taping on the rocks while out of the water correct? I still have a few weeks until this move is done. But I’m trying to transfer them into my anemone holding box in my current tank until ready. Thanks

OP
OP
N

NanoreefingMP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. I need to move about 5 anemones off of their rocks because I don't want to reuse my current rock as the nem island has bryopsis and bubble algae. Going to be moving to a minimalistic scape as well as someone above, up to a 90g :)
I think I'm going to try ice cubes in a bag on the base of it, but the feet can go pretty far down in my rocks.
I’ve tried ice cubes and didn’t work. They foot is buried pretty far.

OP
OP
N

NanoreefingMP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to try this but my sand would blow everywhere :/

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks. I'm thinking go straight to blasting them with flow so that they want to relocate on their own.
Ive noticed with my RFA's they dont care much about flow, but instead of moving they will just close up. Light will motivate them however

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive noticed with my RFA's they dont care much about flow, but instead of moving they will just close up. Light will motivate them however
Interesting. So starve them of light so they move to a spot where they can find it?

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. So starve them of light so they move to a spot where they can find it?
About 70% of the time.. the other 30% they will be stubborn and starve to death. Have lost more than a couple that moved under a rock and wouldnt leave there. I also read that if you hang the rock out of water, with the anemone hanging down just barely touching water he will let go. Havent tried it myself however i will have to soon as i will be doing a tank move in the coming months.

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you were taping on the rocks while out of the water correct? I still have a few weeks until this move is done. But I’m trying to transfer them into my anemone holding box in my current tank until ready. Thanks

Yes, the RFAs, do not enjoy the shock from the impact. I keep about 40 something RFAs and have moved them several times over the years I've kept them. This works best. However, there will always be one that decides its going to die in that spot... lol but 99% of the time, I can get them out of their crevices with a good a tapping/shockful impact.

Michael Montgomery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI...that wasnt me tapping on the rocks... I've never tried to move rock nems. I WILL have to figure it out soon enough for the tank upgrade. ;)

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 37 31.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.2%
Back