Removing rock anemones

Michael Montgomery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the RFAs, do not enjoy the shock from the impact. I keep about 40 something RFAs and have moved them several times over the years I've kept them. This works best. However, there will always be one that decides its going to die in that spot... lol but 99% of the time, I can get them out of their crevices with a good a tapping/shockful impact.
Very interesting.... I'm hoping this works for the OP. (taking notes for future reference)

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting.... I'm hoping this works for the OP. (taking notes for future reference)

Yes, it seems a lot of other people are also interested in moving RFAs, lol. If I could get a BTA of a yellowish color soon or a golden torch soon, I could try to make a video of the technique I use, since I'd have to remove 2 RFAs to place either one of those in my tank.

It's just that its hard to get corals shipped safely this time of year and where I'm from, BTAs of that color and golden torches rarely ever appear in our LFS, if ever. So I probably won't be moving anything, anytime soon.

OP
OP
N

NanoreefingMP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it seems a lot of other people are also interested in moving RFAs, lol. If I could get a BTA of a yellowish color soon or a golden torch soon, I could try to make a video of the technique I use, since I'd have to remove 2 RFAs to place either one of those in my tank.

It's just that its hard to get corals shipped safely this time of year and where I'm from, BTAs of that color and golden torches rarely ever appear in our LFS, if ever. So I probably won't be moving anything, anytime soon.
Thanks hopefully with it the next couple weeks when I do it I’ll make a video. Because I have quite a few that I need to move. I just bought some today and took the whole rock home because they were stuck to it good .

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don't think yellow BTAs show up in any LFS.

A good coral vendor can ship you coral in mostly all weather with the exception of major blizzards.

Thanks for sharing your success with detaching RFAs.

OP
OP
N

NanoreefingMP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few pictures of what it is. I think it’s a total of nine RFAs

50C58D6D-922D-4FB1-B395-A2B071F21B3B.jpeg

C8D6AC08-82CD-4278-8F24-7E94E71E8E58.jpeg

42830FA0-80C4-458E-9104-80F8B4DCD3E3.jpeg

1E773996-9DA0-42A6-A969-4B06A0E964F6.jpeg

304D6E0B-180F-4961-BE5C-7ED16FD5B643.jpeg

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think yellow BTAs show up in any LFS.

I've seen a few in the LFS about 300-400 miles out. Just not around my area. TLreefs is within 4-5 hours of a drive but that is quite a road trip. They currently have one that is yellowish under 14-16k lighting. It's a good thing he doesn't live too close, I'd be broke.

A good coral vendor can ship you coral in mostly all weather with the exception of major blizzards.

All coral vendors can ship in any weather but this time of year, during the holiday season which is generally cold for most of us in the States, packages get delayed often. The combination of the two will result in a loss of a lot of life and money. Its common where I live to have overnight shipments delayed here for a day or two for the holiday season.

OP
OP
N

NanoreefingMP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are pretty thick rocks. I'd flip them and hit them pretty hard. They look very healthy btw.
Thank you :) I’ve had 6 of them for a while. Just picked up three new ones today. Once my holding container comes in I’m going start getting them off

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t do it to a rock yet but to worked for a plastic drip cup just tapping on the bottom

Yeah, when I buy RFAs online, some vendors send them in specimen cups. Just tapping on the backside where the foot is lodge will make them let go pretty quickly. Does very little damage compared to trying to scrape them off.

OP
OP
N

NanoreefingMP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, when I buy RFAs online, some vendors send them in specimen cups. Just tapping on the backside where the foot is lodge will make them let go pretty quickly. Does very little damage compared to trying to scrape them off.
Yeah it worked perfect on there. I tried on a rock just now and it didn’t work. So I’ll try again tomorrow or the next day

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it worked perfect on there. I tried on a rock just now and it didn’t work. So I’ll try again tomorrow or the next day

Keep in mind you have to whack it fairly hard. The rock flower needs to feel the shock. Compared to the cups, you have a lot of rock between u and the rfa.

OP
OP
N

NanoreefingMP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind you have to whack it fairly hard. The rock flower needs to feel the shock. Compared to the cups, you have a lot of rock between u and the rfa.
I’ll try harder tomorrow. Today I broke a couple pieces of rock off hitting.

charlesk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the tap method and it worked great. Now he is where he should be and live a happy life. Thanks for the great tip.

Waalker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about the ice cube trick myself, but mine has dug it's foot nicely into a porous piece of rock. I thought about getting some icy cold water in a syringe or baster and squirting it into the rock hoping that might irritate just enough to move.

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about the ice cube trick myself, but mine has dug it's foot nicely into a porous piece of rock. I thought about getting some icy cold water in a syringe or baster and squirting it into the rock hoping that might irritate just enough to move.

Might work. I've never tried it.

I used the tap method and it worked great. Now he is where he should be and live a happy life. Thanks for the great tip.

No problem ;) Going to have to name this technique after myself lol. Tankstudy's tap technique. Triple T!

OP
OP
N

NanoreefingMP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What should use to hit the rock ? Screw driver didn’t really work just broke the rock. I’m going to try again when I get home

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What should use to hit the rock ? Screw driver didn’t really work just broke the rock. I’m going to try again when I get home

Are you using the handle to hit? I've used a hammer before, breaks a lot of rocks but using the handle of a screw diver for several minutes is usually enough but based off your pictures, your rocks are very thick, so your going to have to whack hard I guess.

Hang the RFA upside down and just keep whacking. If you can feel the impact in your hand, more than likely, the RFA is feeling it too. It can take several minutes 5-10 minutes. Sometimes longer, sometimes even less than 5 minutes.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 46.0%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.9%
Back