Removing softies from the glass

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

I was doing the rounds with my tunze magnet on my qt tanks and while cleaning either I nipped the silicone or it was already split, it didn't damage the actual seal but this is an older tank and with some of my favourite corals and the low price of a 5 gallon I grabbed a new one. I just leak tested it and have some new saltwater ready but I totally forgot I've let a few softies just kind of do their thing in this tank... I have a lovely xenia patch the migrated onto the side glass and a few on the bottom as well as a yuma that abandoned its plug and seems happier on the bottom.

I know these aren't high end corals by any means but I would really like to move them over safely. I'm assuming a razor blade is my friend here but would like to confirm that and or other suggestions are welcome. Attached are a few photos, I know its not pretty but I just kind of let my QT tanks do their thing. Thanks in advance!
IMG_4780.jpg
IMG_4781.jpg
65887206362__C6BCB932-8FBB-4827-909D-31F03C8D94D9.jpg

OP
OP
ZipAdeeZoa

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd try the plastic blade on the Tunze first before the stainless steel one. Something like a kitchen spatula with an edge could work too.
I could definitely do that for the xenia, I've accidentally made a few frags that way;Hilarious I do feel bad when I hit it though, kind feels like hitting a squirrel with a car.

The yumas foot looks a little more robust though, I haven't dealt with moving this species other moving the rubble its holding on to so I'm not sure how good of a grip the foot actually has.

I could see whats fair game in the kitchen...

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 67 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back