Renton's Evolution from 200 to 440 gallons

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nate, what did you make your canopy out of? I am ordering the hanging brackets soon and was just curious what material was used to make the canopy.
thanks

corey

OP
OP
Renton777

Renton777

Polyp Nipper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nate, what did you make your canopy out of? I am ordering the hanging brackets soon and was just curious what material was used to make the canopy.
thanks

corey

@Wspangler , an acquaintance of mine, actually made it. Hopefully he can chime in.

OP
OP
Renton777

Renton777

Polyp Nipper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow Tail Tamarin Wrasse

oT5wTOIh.jpg

Wspangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is what was used. It doesnt to be this exact material though. Higher quality will require less prep before painting. I've used 3/4 maple from home depot or lowes for most of my project. That would have been a good choice for this as well.

I used wood filler in the gaps and 2 coats of primer. Nathan painted them.
Screenshot_20201207-210601_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20201207-210851_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20201207-210715_Gallery.jpg

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nathan,
last question (I think). What is the aluminum that you were able to slide the Orpheks into? Where did you get it from and how did you connect the lights to them?

thanks for the link on what was used to build the light canopy. I’ll be grabbing me a piece of that too

corey

OP
OP
Renton777

Renton777

Polyp Nipper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nathan,
last question (I think). What is the aluminum that you were able to slide the Orpheks into? Where did you get it from and how did you connect the lights to them?

thanks for the link on what was used to build the light canopy. I’ll be grabbing me a piece of that too

corey

I got black anodized, 1.5” x 1.5” T-slot extrusion rails and black end caps from https://www.alufabinc.com/ . That company made the second set of stands for Tidal Gardens as well as the rails that Tidal Gardens is using on their Atlantiks.

The Atlantiks have screws on the top that slide right into the T-Slots, so that is how mine are attached. To attach the rails I have M8 Screws with washers coming through the wood with Roll-in Spring M8 T Nut attached to them so that they slide right into the top T-slots.

M8 Roll-in Spring T-Slot Nut - https://amzn.to/2FmuQBM
M8 Ring Eye Bolt - https://amzn.to/3jPptd4

Shout out to @Tidal Gardens , I got all the info above from Than when putting together the mounting setup.

OP
OP
Renton777

Renton777

Polyp Nipper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I call this one @bubbaque 's orphan. He had me snag it for him from a swap I was at in hopes it was a specific coral he was looking for. Turn's out it was not the coral he was looking for. He told me to wrap it up in a little basket and leave it on the door step a the local orphanage. Rather then do that, I have adopted it!

NTEgn63h.jpg

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back