Replacement for Tom's Aqualifter Pump (Overflow Box)

Kaiser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright it's that time of year again. My Tom's Aqualifter has started to run into problems maintaining the siphon on my Overflow Box. however, I've run into a new problem (new for me at least). It looks like Tom's Aqualifter pumps are discontinued and I need an alternative that is okay to use continuously. I've noticed that in the description of the Avast Marine and BRS Pumps that they aren't supposed to be used continuously which is a bummer. Anyone have any recommendations?

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably not the answer you’re looking for, but replace the CPR HOB overflow. Any overflow bos that must dely on a pump to maintain siphon is a poor design IMO. Grab a tranditional u-tube style HOB overflow. Set up correctly, it should run trouble free for years. My first reef tank in the late 90s ran an Amiracle U-tune style HOB overflow box with a Stockman standpipe for almost a decade trouble free. No external pump to maintain siphon required.

littlebeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this will actually work since I switched to a different tank, but couldn't you hook the overflow up to a maxijet venturi option and pull the air out that way?

Just brainstorming, and you probably have 1 sitting around.

OP
OP
Kaiser

Kaiser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably not the answer you’re looking for, but replace the CPR HOB overflow. Any overflow bos that must dely on a pump to maintain siphon is a poor design IMO. Grab a tranditional u-tube style HOB overflow. Set up correctly, it should run trouble free for years. My first reef tank in the late 90s ran an Amiracle U-tune style HOB overflow box with a Stockman standpipe for almost a decade trouble free. No external pump to maintain siphon required.
This will be my last resort I think, I'd really like to avoid replumbing the overflow.

OP
OP
Kaiser

Kaiser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this will actually work since I switched to a different tank, but couldn't you hook the overflow up to a maxijet venturi option and pull the air out that way?

I don't unfortunately, however this may be worth a shot.

LiquidFunk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in need of a replacement as well. I have a herbie overflow but with a 30' horizontal run to my garage where my sump and fish room is located. I went with a 4" horizontal pipe to ensure adequate flow, which results in a air getting trapped when I loose syphon. I have used the aqualifter to remove this air.

Originally I tried to use my return pump as a venturi (placing a nipple in front of the intake which connects to the line) but this didn't offer enough suction to remove the air. To give it some perspective, I can barely suck it out with my mouth,,, which is what I did today to silence the overflow...

Anyone have other ideas?

HeyJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're really in pinch, premium aquatics has a JBJ ATO/Aqualifter bundle still listed on ebay. You could sell the ATO after.

Assuming it's a valid listing...

LiquidFunk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're really in pinch, premium aquatics has a JBJ ATO/Aqualifter bundle still listed on ebay. You could sell the ATO after.

Assuming it's a valid listing...

Thanks for the idea, I think after doing some thinking Ill see if I can find a continuous duty peristaltic pump which should be able to do both air and water.

HeyJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little more pricey, but this looks like an Aqualifter replacement

rlman41299

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can buy the replacement diaphragm for the aqualifter and rebuild it. Aquacave sells them

addictedaudi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So mine just crapped out. i opened it up and it looks fine but idk what im looking at tbh. I do know that its pushing air out both sides. anyway to fix it or am i screwed?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There used to be rebuild kits available. I had found that an aqualifter would usually last for about 1-3 years and then I would have to rebuild or replace them (results may vary). Eventually, I rigged up a low flow micro pond pump to supplement the siphon and then finally gave up on the HOB overflow and went another direction. There are DIY mods or hacks available on the net if you search but unlikely to find an available working aqualifter without a lot of luck.

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much help but I upgraded my entire system due to my overflow box and lifter pump setup. Just too stressful waiting for something to go wrong. I found the only true way to get things 100% running quickly was to replace the lifter pump entirely. I bought them in packs of 2 for this very reason. Always have a spare.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That would work!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 37.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back