Repurpose Waterbox ATO reservoir?

codee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Waterbox Marine X 90.3 glass sump contains a 2.8 gallon ATO reservoir. It seems like this space could be better used as a refugium (or simply space for another reactor of some sort). Has anyone repurposed this space? Options seem to be:
  • Pump water from the skimmer chamber over the wall, then let it overflow into the pump chamber? (seems dicey)
  • Drill the glass between skimmer chamber and ATO? (I don't think it's tempered glass, but seems scary to drill an internal wall)
  • Remove the piece of glass between skimmer chamber? (razor blade the silicone)
For folks with a Waterbox, are you using this space as a reservoir? Unless your tank has a lid, 2.8 gallons feels undersized to be that useful.

waterbox-90.3-sump.jpg

snulma1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I considered the drill to make it into a fuge, however it has become more useful to place my reactor which is fed off the manifold from my return (makes me feel safer that if it leaks it will be contained). It also holds some of my nets/basters/and scraper.

OP
OP
codee

codee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I considered the drill to make it into a fuge, however it has become more useful to place my reactor which is fed off the manifold from my return (makes me feel safer that if it leaks it will be contained). It also holds some of my nets/basters/and scraper.
Interesting idea - thanks! Researching alternatives to the stock sump now as most folks seem to be using it like you (as storage, net holder, etc).

gunflintcamper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good idea!

And to the OP...We did a custom stand so we have room for a reasonable sized ATO container instead of using that little thing. It's not enough water to last 48 hours in the dry winter air here. We have the 110...screen lid.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 42 58.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 20 27.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back