Rescue anemone from LFS - what do we think?

Wrecktangle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, so we took home a (what I think may be) mini maxi anemone. It was relatively open while the lights were on, and its foot was below the sand bed. When the lights turned off, it curled up a little bit (The first time it had moved since we've had it home), and is now sitting on top of the sand bed. The color is still really good, with the green top fluorescing under the lights, but what worries me is the purple/grey wrinkly flesh on the bottom of its foot. It looks to be covering the entire bottom of the foot. I'm not sure if the grey flesh is insides coming out from a ripped foot, or something else. This isn't the best picture, but it shows the relatively good coloring, pink sides, and grey wrinkly bottom...

Continue rescuing? Funeral? What do we think?

tempImage1cGBCf.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Alright, so we took home a (what I think may be) mini maxi anemone. It was relatively open while the lights were on, and its foot was below the sand bed. When the lights turned off, it curled up a little bit (The first time it had moved since we've had it home), and is now sitting on top of the sand bed. The color is still really good, with the green top fluorescing under the lights, but what worries me is the purple/grey wrinkly flesh on the bottom of its foot. It looks to be covering the entire bottom of the foot. I'm not sure if the grey flesh is insides coming out from a ripped foot, or something else. This isn't the best picture, but it shows the relatively good coloring, pink sides, and grey wrinkly bottom...

Continue rescuing? Funeral? What do we think?

tempImage1cGBCf.png
It depends how it was handled previously but they are photosynthetic and respond to light. They will shrivel when lights go out and reopen when lights go on.
Too much flow and they move. Too little and they shrivel. Too little light and they again shrivel

August

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any updates on your rescue? would love to hear about it even if it didn't turn out well.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you get a sick animal for free, it is a rescue. When you have to paid for a sick animal, it is a stupid mistake. I hope it turn out OK.

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can "Pay" to rescue an animal. Willing to pay to get it out of bad treatment is still a rescue.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can "Pay" to rescue an animal. Willing to pay to get it out of bad treatment is still a rescue.
All that encourage is more animals get kill by bad LFS. If they, the LFS, loose enough money, they just eventually won't order animals they cannot keep.
Just like the US government paying the criminal cartels ransoms. It just encourage more kidnaps of US citizens and make it worst over all.

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All that encourage is more animals get kill by bad LFS. If they, the LFS, loose enough money, they just eventually won't order animals they cannot keep.
Just like the US government paying the criminal cartels ransoms. It just encourage more kidnaps of US citizens and make it worst over all.
It is not wrong to attempt to rescue an animal from a retail store to try to better its life. Choosing not to buy it and to let it die is not going to change anything EITHER. Especially with companies such as PetCo. They flat out don't care about the animals well being and you choosing to allow one in their care to die is not going to change their actions. They will continue to force local stores to carry BTA's while not giving them the lighting required to survive or just the horrible way they care of small animals in general. But that does not make it wrong to try to save an animal in such condition. Leaving them to die will not change anything either. This is why when I "DO" attempt to save a fish from PetCo I argue about the care and condition of fish and require they give ma big discount so they at least recoup something vs just letting it die and get written off as loss. Sometimes it works and we can save the fish, sometimes its just too late. Inaction can never result in change.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back