Rescued Serpent star fish

BranchingHammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
About a year ago, I rescued a serpent star from a local reefer’s tank. It only had one extremely small leg that was smaller than its body. The rest of its legs had fallen off. After I rescued it, it grew back its legs rapidly while it recovered in my sump. I had an issue with a previous serpent star where it would aggressively rip food out of corals’ mouths, sometimes damaging the coral. This star is much smaller, about 7 inches from leg tip to leg tip. I feel bad about keeping it in my sump without much food. Every time I try to supplement its diet with fish food, it isn’t interested. The star has red and green on its body and has lightly banded legs. I’m not sure if this is another species or something. Anyways, for those of you who have had serpent stars in your reef, did they ever harm coral or clams? I want to make sure before I move him to the DT.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post an image of the starfish?
Personally I do not trust Serpent Stars.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a (new to me) red serpent and she’s very large. So far, she comes out to eat but mostly stays in her cave. She hasn’t touched any coral on the sand bed other than running her legs over it in search of food. I do make it a point to give her larger bits of meat when I feed.
8D931BC8-C753-4BF6-99EF-3FCD48AC12B2.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ive had no issues with them.

OP
OP
BranchingHammer

BranchingHammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. It looks similar to this picture:
A1976886-D679-4B74-859A-6C24EDEA2052.jpeg

Does anybody know if this species/color morph is reef safe? I’m assuming all of them are, I just want to be safe...

MagikarpSalad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a gray and white banded one - have had for 10+ years - is huge - we only ever see it's tentacles any more. My daughter calls it the Eldritch Horror. It eats emerald crabs. We even found a huge one (daughter named it Brian David Gilbert). He lasted a couple weeks, and even snipped off an inch or so of serpent arm... But the next day, Brian David Gilbert was missing an arm... And that was the last time we saw him. The Eldritch Horror lives on.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 69 52.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back