Rescuing Hippo Tang from Petco for a Youtube Documentary

MiloSyko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AEF87A6F-0FD4-4B68-B789-CD90F1A14785.png
Backstory
So I’m working on a youtube documentary on why you shouldn’t support Petco. When I was visiting stores to record videos, I found a severely hurt Hippo tang that was on the edge of death. It was pretty obvious the 2 large Clarkis were beating her up even took a chunk of her tail off. The worker said it was store policy that they can’t put the fish anywhere else. WTFFFF! I couldn’t stop thinking about her and ended up returning to save her. Asked for a discount but still ended up paying 110.

I’ve set up a 20 gallon QT and have started treating with Melafix for her wounds. She is extremely malnourished and boney. Today I started to spot feed her. She is able to suck in whatever gets near her mouth but she’s too hurt to get fed herself. Its been 2 days and shes still seems very broken, her body seems to be almost stuck with a slight bend. She usually just squishes herself into one of the PVC corners and stays there most of the day. Sometimes she’s able to try to keep herself upright but ends up just staying on her side. When she gets spooked and tries to swim fast she just twirls all round. She’s still able to get to one side of the tank to the other although. I’m afraid it is a spinal injury. Best case scenario, it’s just a swim bladder issue. What should I do in this case? She doesn’t seem to have any parasites or infections but I’m still debating on treating with copper before she does.

I got her knowing she’s not going to make it but might as well give it a try, at least we can give her a peaceful passing. Any help/advice will be greatly appreciate.

Attachments

• IMG_0869.mp4
    15.6 MB
  • IMG_0870.mp4
    40.3 MB
  • IMG_0871.mp4
    10.1 MB
Last edited:
OP
OP
MiloSyko

MiloSyko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to compress the videos before inserting them into the post, let me know if you have issues seeing them.

Last edited:

gentlefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I can’t see the video. Sad to learn that the company made 110$ and will likely reorder a new Hippo.
From what you mention, this fish may not survive. I would stay away from copper (immunosupprssion, appetite suppression), stay away from Prazi for the time being (O2 consumption). Potential role for broad spectrum antibiotics. Try to keep stress to a minimum. Good luck and God bless you.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big box retailers are just not set up, nor do most have an experienced marine aquarist on staff.

Fine for tough fish like clowns, bad for the delicates.

Cole presley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bet money it's not healthy at all! lol
It's been there for a few months, fat, and was eating nori like crazy when I was there. Was a bit skittish but looked good. Ended up buying a 3-4 inch yellow tang for $60 there. Super fat and happy, but once again, still a little skittish.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. Wonder if they run copper at all to suppress sickness. I honestly don't have faith in petco.

Cole presley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. Wonder if they run copper at all to suppress sickness. I honestly don't have faith in petco.
No copper, against the policy, and there were inverts in the tank! Each Petco is different for sure.. they're are definitely bad ones AND good ones. The Petco near me is moving to a new location, excited to see what's coming saltwater-wise. The one I got the tang from was about an hour and a half away from me.

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meanwhile the Petco I went to yesterday had a huge and seemingly healthy 6 inch blue tang for $110, each store seems very different despite having all the same prices.
Yep, unfortunately my local Petco is doing a major marine downgrade, but, this time last year I remember being able to pick up 2-3” Squamosa and maxima clams for around $40/each! I had two for about 9mths until my hippo tang started picking them up and carring them around if I didn’t feed her! It was the oddest thing

Cole presley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, unfortunately my local Petco is doing a major marine downgrade, but, this time last year I remember being able to pick up 2-3” Squamosa and maxima clams for around $40/each! I had two for about 9mths until my hippo tang started picking them up and carring them around if I didn’t feed her! It was the oddest thing
That's cool - All the petcos I've been to have only done fish, very few inverts and maybe 1 or 2 soft corals lol

Brooke24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been there for a few months, fat, and was eating nori like crazy when I was there. Was a bit skittish but looked good. Ended up buying a 3-4 inch yellow tang for $60 there. Super fat and happy, but once again, still a little skittish.
Did you quarantine? Ime, Petco fish don’t make it sadly. Either disease or because where they came from, and Petco usually doesn’t have people trained in aquatics

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you quarantine? Ime, Petco fish don’t make it sadly. Either disease or because where they came from, and Petco usually doesn’t have people trained in aquatics
I kinda wanna go to petco and offer to volunteer just so I can help clean up the fish lol

Brooke24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kinda wanna go to petco and offer to volunteer just so I can help clean up the fish lol
Right. I’m 16 now, and used to wanna work at Petco not knowing what goes on with their animals. I work at a locally owned shop now, and it’s sad to see a large company care more about the money than thousand upon thousands of animals

shanescycling

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do I think this documentary is a bias gotcha campaign?
I have been to reputable LFS with dying/sick fish in their tanks.
I am returning to the hobby and so far have Qt’d 6 fish. 3 from Petco and 3 from an LFS with a good local following. All under the same conditions and so far the only death was from the LFS.

Cole presley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not QT along but he's in a separate tank from my reef with other fish. I feel that if he was eating and happy at Petco for the past 3-4 months, he's likely to do well with me. IME Petco fish are hit or miss, My sailfin came from my local Petco and he's almost 3 years old

Cole presley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am returning to the hobby and so far have Qt’d 6 fish. 3 from Petco and 3 from an LFS with a good local following. All under the same conditions and so far the only death was from the LFS.
Agreed. LFS's can be just as bad if not worse - they just don't have one blanket name so it's hard to bash them. Everyone knows the name Petco!

Brooke24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Petco keeps thousands of fish with people who are not educated whatsoever, the difference is things happen in local fish stores but Petco knowingly keeps thousands of fish in too small tanks with disease and does it for the money

Brooke24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not QT along but he's in a separate tank from my reef with other fish. I feel that if he was eating and happy at Petco for the past 3-4 months, he's likely to do well with me. IME Petco fish are hit or miss, My sailfin came from my local Petco and he's almost 3 years old
That’s great!!!!! How big is your tank? Got pictures?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 71 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.1%
Back