Rescuing Hippo Tang from Petco for a Youtube Documentary

Cole presley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do! My main tank is a 120. The new yellow tang went into a 36 gallon tank for him to grow up a bit to be with the sailfin in the main tank

Attachments

• 2604371C-7E9C-470C-87F9-C6B57289FEE2.jpeg
    2604371C-7E9C-470C-87F9-C6B57289FEE2.jpeg
    118.5 KB · Views: 78

Cole presley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful. I’m looking to get a yellow for my 90
Better get one fast. They’ve been ban from collection. Currently are very expensive in LFS’s and won’t be here much longer. That’s why I had to get one at a good price while I could. Gorgeous fish though

Brooke24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better get one fast. They’ve been ban from collection. Currently are very expensive in LFS’s and won’t be here much longer. That’s why I had to get one at a good price while I could. Gorgeous fish though
Yeah, I heard about the Hawaii ban:/ my tank is in the first stage of cycling, so I doubt I will find one reasonably priced. Was thinking another tang that wouldn’t be affected as much, too. A lavender or a kole/ Squaretail bristle

Cole presley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I heard about the Hawaii ban:/ my tank is in the first stage of cycling, so I doubt I will find one reasonably priced. Was thinking another tang that wouldn’t be affected as much, too. A lavender or a kole/ Squaretail bristle
Those will be affected just as hard. Kole tangs are up to about $120 now along with u yellows :(

Brooke24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those will be affected just as hard. Kole tangs are up to about $120 now along with u yellows :(
I would be willing to pay $120 for a tang honestly- I’m 16 so give all the money I make into my pets or to save for a car/ college lol. Got nothing better to spend it on

Cole presley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be willing to pay $120 for a tang honestly- I’m 16 so give all the money I make into my pets or to save for a car/ college lol. Got nothing better to spend it on
Haha - I’m 17 so I feel that. I still try to stay budget conscious

a4edwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are two Petco near me that sell salt water fish the one closest to me I’ve never had a problem with the fish that I’ve purchased from them. The other one is a different story their display tanks look awful, so do the fish I bought a powder brown from them and he lasted a week.

SteveG_inDC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I once got a clownfish from Petco and as I was checking out they said, "you do know this needs *salt* water, right?" That tells you who they cater to. I am sure they started asking that when customers came back wanting a refund when their "nemo" died in a freshwater tank. So sad.

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Two of the Petcos by me are total garbage.

But... the one 30 minutes away in Hammond LA surprised me. Really healthy aquarium section, both salt and fresh. Maybe it just depends on who manages it?

Corporate must have terrible training and hiring strategy.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also rescued a yellow Tang from Petco 5 years ago, it was very skinny and rough fins in what a 10 gallon tank?! This store I used to frequent had a very lovely young lady named Angelina, she was a very experienced reef keeper herself and was very smart. After about a year she started complaining that her coworkers without experience would not take care of simple tasks when she was off work. I purchased many fine fish and corals from her I still have today. Well she quit working at this store and everything went downhill fast, hence my last purchase the tang. I still have this beauty and is fat and happy in my 75.

Now this store is going with a private company to maintain there salt water system. I am still waiting to see what comes of this. Angelina used to give me super big discounts. So like everything else some stores have knowledgeable people and some not. Just had a very nice LFS close shop recently and they were super. Wish you all the best.

Here is my tank before I got my sump set up to move the heater and remove canister filter. All this was in my 46 gallon bowfront for close to 6 years and upgraded to 75 just a few months ago. The Kenya Tree and clowns I got from Petco and have been together for 6 years.
The second photo was my 46 a few months ago just before upgrade. The Tang police let me slide on this one lol.

Attachments

• 75g 1.jpg
    75g 1.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 2020 2.jpg
    2020 2.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 35

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 169 72.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 41 17.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.2%
Back