Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

kiMxD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello folks,

I am in need of your opinions and experience on this one.
I have not been happy with one of my tanks lately and so I decided to create this thread.

My reef tank has been setup for about a year and a half and it has gone through different changes and adaptations, but lately I have been struggling with two major pests: Aiptasia and Vermetid Snails.

I know that I could remove all the rock and manually remove the snails, I know I could use many products to kill aiptasia (and I did and they came back), I know I could buy shrimps to kill aiptasia (which I have 12 and they are not working on it) and, I know I could also buy Aiptasia Eating File Fish (which I have one and he has not touched them at ALL).

Having all that said, I feel like restarting the tank, literally removing everything and setting up again. Reason why is I feel that just removing the rocks to manually remove these pests won't do it, as they are probably everywhere (sump, overflow, etc) and they'd come back sooner or later.

I have recorded a video of my reef, it is 1 minute long and I'd appreciate if you could take a look at it.

The only thing that is holding me back a little is that it took so long for this tank to establish itself (not having algae issues and so forth) that I feel bad resetting it.

Can you please let me know what would you do in my case? Also, what do you think of my rockwork, lightining fixture, powerhead positioning and whatever you want to tell me about.

Thank you so much, I really need your help on this one.

Have a great new years!

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can bleach the tank as is and keep it running for few days then drain the water. Air dry for several days then fill with water and use dechlorinator and once no traces of ammonia are found your tank is ready for cycling.

If done properly and dried long enough there will be no traces of bleach left after few days of drying.

OP
OP
K

kiMxD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the recommended solution? And how much of it? Would you recommend me to keep my rocks then?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dr. Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can keep everything as is and in place no need to take out anything. Simply pour enough bleach in the system to kill everything.
Half a gal in 120g will be lethal.
Do make sure to vent properly as fumes will be strong for day or 2.
Then drain all the water after 2-3 days of running bleach in tank. This way bleach water gets everywhere in the tank killing all the pests.
After 3 days drain the tank completely and let it air dry for week to 10 days. Move sand around every 2 days to make sure it dries out underneath. Once everything is air dried for week to 10 days fill it with rodi water or saltwater and bring salinity and temp etc back to normal and use dechlorinator for any left over traces of bleach to be taken care off.
Test for ammonia 24 hrs after dechlorinator and if none you are good to go. Otherwise use more dechlorinator till ammonia is 0.
Once there your tank is ready for cycling.

I have reset tanks this way before that were nothing but aiptasia farms with no issues.

OP
OP
K

kiMxD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can keep everything as is and in place no need to take out anything. Simply pour enough bleach in the system to kill everything.
Half a gal in 120g will be lethal.
Do make sure to vent properly as fumes will be strong for day or 2.
Then drain all the water after 2-3 days of running bleach in tank. This way bleach water gets everywhere in the tank killing all the pests.
After 3 days drain the tank completely and let it air dry for week to 10 days. Move sand around every 2 days to make sure it dries out underneath. Once everything is air dried for week to 10 days fill it with rodi water or saltwater and bring salinity and temp etc back to normal and use dechlorinator for any left over traces of bleach to be taken care off.
Test for ammonia 24 hrs after dechlorinator and if none you are good to go. Otherwise use more dechlorinator till ammonia is 0.
Once there your tank is ready for cycling.

I have reset tanks this way before that were nothing but aiptasia farms with no issues.
I like this idea so far. Any specific brand of bleach?

Dr. Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any bleach unscented. make sure its plain with no scent etc.

afartindolphin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chloroquine Phosphate could get it done with a chance of keeping some of your biodiversity. Nukes snails, worms, guessing aptasia too. Intank treatments with fish possible after coral removal but requires care for the inevitable ammonia spike, safer to remove everything. Lots of unknowns with CP, breakdown etc. but has been done successfully for vermetids.

OP
OP
K

kiMxD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chloroquine Phosphate could get it done with a chance of keeping some of your biodiversity. Nukes snails, worms, guessing aptasia too. Intank treatments with fish possible after coral removal but requires care for the inevitable ammonia spike, safer to remove everything. Lots of unknowns with CP, breakdown etc. but has been done successfully for vermetids.
Thank you for the input. What are your thoughts on bleach?

afartindolphin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the input. What are your thoughts on bleach?

Bleach will definitely get it done. Make sure to check any frags and equipment that you pull out during treatment for vermetids before they go back in. Only takes one slipping by to repopulate.

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do a re-start. More work now but less in the end. Important to keep in mind if you re-start. How did you get those pests in there from the start and what will you do differently in the future to prevent this for occurring again.

OP
OP
K

kiMxD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do a re-start. More work now but less in the end. Important to keep in mind if you re-start. How did you get those pests in there from the start and what will you do differently in the future to prevent this for occurring again.
I used to not dip my corals before adding them to the tank, I know where I messed up. How would you go about restarting the tank?

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to not dip my corals before adding them to the tank, I know where I messed up. How would you go about restarting the tank?

I would restart with new rock and sand. Use the bleach method (i have used it in the past). Let is run for 24 hours, then use prime. Personally i filled and drained the tank 3 times with fresh water and prime - may have been overkill. New sand new rock new tank, fresh start to go along with the New Year!

FYI remove any foam filters as the bleach will eat away at it.
When you no longer smell bleach then it's safe.

QT! QT! and QT! Was the lesson i learned!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back