Reticulated puffer in a reef?

PhantomHalo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted this in the general fish discussion forum, but figured I may get more specialized help here. I have been looking at getting a puffer in my reef for a while now. I am not concerned with the clean up crew getting eaten, but would like to avoid a puffer that is going to feast on my corals. My LFS has a beautiful reticulated puffer, but I haven't heard too much about them. Does anyone have any experience with them or know if they like to eat corals? It’s going in a 300gal DT btw. Thanks!

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the most part this is a huge risk. Puffers are always hungry and looking for something to eat, they may chomp on your corals for food or maybe just for fun. I've watched puffers just chomp and spit corals like leathers and bite all sort of corals that they never ate, just destroyed. If you value your reef, it is not a good idea.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes most puffers you really can't trust. Funny thing the one I have now is so lazy you could probably get away with him in a reef. He doesn't root around like most of them do, he just waits for me to feed him. You may hear someone say they have one in a reef with success, but I am not kidding, one day you come home and your reef is literally decimated.

OP
OP
PhantomHalo

PhantomHalo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang, that really blows. Well, time to figure out a new plan. I have/will have three large angels in there that I know will pick at the corals, but from what you’re describing, I think he’s more likely to just bite them in half and destroy the reef. Any suggestions for another dog style personality type of fish?! Lol I like lions, but I think they’ll eat my clowns and wrasses.

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard horror stories and successes. Regardless, and i know this isn't a reticulated puffer, but I will be adding a blue spot puffer to my reef. gl, whatever u decide to do.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept a porcupine puffer in my reef for quite a while. It really comes down too what you like better, corals or the puffer. Mine didn't typically bother corals but it would always have to taste anything new I added to the tank (I'd have to distract him with food while I placed a new coral). I also had to distract him with food in order to feed the other fish (or he'd take all of the food). Anyways ya you can do it, but the puffer will occasionally chomp a coral in half for no reason, or even just bite off a chunk of live rock

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A volitan lion may be of concern to some of your wrasses or clowns, but what about a dwarf, just remember you;ll have to target feed them. Some angels are puppy dog like, like my flagfin. And yeah the risk of angels is a different animal compared to a puffer. Triggers are puppy dog like and some have success with the bluejaws in a reef, but another risk. Some tangs will follow you around and dance and beg; my orange shoulder did when he was younger.

OP
OP
PhantomHalo

PhantomHalo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading all day it seems there aren’t too many success stories with these types of puffers. Even dog faced puffers seem to destroy and eat all the corals they can. I started this tank as a fowlr tank, but with cheap corals not caring about whether or not they got eaten. However, the bug hit and now I have nicer corals in there and don’t want to lose them all. Lol So back to the drawing board on my center piece fish.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just have too say, you won't find a fish with better personality than a puffer. You will fall in love, they're on a whole other level then any other fish (just my 2¢)

OP
OP
PhantomHalo

PhantomHalo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A volitan lion may be of concern to some of your wrasses or clowns, but what about a dwarf, just remember you;ll have to target feed them. Some angels are puppy dog like, like my flagfin. And yeah the risk of angels is a different animal compared to a puffer. Triggers are puppy dog like and some have success with the bluejaws in a reef, but another risk. Some tangs will follow you around and dance and beg; my orange shoulder did when he was younger.
I already have a blue jaw, pink tail, and black trigger in my tank. They are very much like puppy dogs! Well the blue jaw and pink tail anyway. The black trigger is a little timid. I’ll have to look into the dwarf lion. I have to make sure they are easy enough to feed/take care of so my wife can do it while I’m gone. (I travel a lot for work.)

OP
OP
PhantomHalo

PhantomHalo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just have too say, you won't find a fish with better personality than a puffer. You will fall in love, they're on a whole other level then any other fish (just my 2¢)
That’s why I’ve wanted one for so long. Now I gotta build another tank just for the puffer! lol

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard horror stories and successes. Regardless, and i know this isn't a reticulated puffer, but I will be adding a blue spot puffer to my reef. gl, whatever u decide to do.
My Blue Spot puffer was a perfect citizen until one day, about 2 months in the DT, right in front of my eyes it started tearing apart some chalice corals. They were gone in minutes. Really sad. I loved that fish.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Blue Spot puffer was a perfect citizen until one day, about 2 months in the DT, right in front of my eyes it started tearing apart some chalice corals. They were gone in minutes. Really sad. I loved that fish.

I liked this because of you sharing the reality. This is what happens most ofbthe time and people are reluctant being truthful. I watched a friend lie about the devastation a clown trigger caused in his reef. People here still advocate these type of triggers in reefs, it always ends badly.

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

thanks, Big G. I know the risk and i am willing to accept it. I hope they don't have an appetite for Ricordea mushrooms and Euphyllia.;) I assume you removed the puffer after this incident?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. It got a new home. It was amazing how fast it destroyed the corals. And I fed it half shelled clams, mussels, etc. I knew the risk when I put it in there. Thought I could feed it enough to keep it satisfied; but you just can't compensate for natural instincts.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 47.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.1%
Back