Return Pump Chamber

rfft2321

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am adding an optical sensor / ATO pump system to my Reefer 250. How do you know how much water should be in the return chamber to set the optical sensor depth correctly to keep the pump under water and not have too much RODI throwing off salinity. Thanks !

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am adding an optical sensor / ATO pump system to my Reefer 250. How do you know how much water should be in the return chamber to set the optical sensor depth correctly to keep the pump under water and not have too much RODI throwing off salinity. Thanks !
If you still have the original sump, you can look at the corner mounting spot for the float valve used for the stock top off kit and put the bracket somewhere around that height.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Figuring out how much water you want to have in the return chamber is part of the setup test I do.
First I add ( freshwater test) enough water to fill the system to where it looks right ( maybe 3-4" of water over the return pump ), turn on the pump and let it run. Then turn off the return pump and see how high the water level gets in the sump. If the water level stays below the top of the sump, then you are about right for water level.

THe salinity in the system is set when you fill the tank with saltwater. The ATO only replaces fresh water when evaporation occurs.

CollectOyster04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't stress enough about return chamber water level max height needs to be dictated by the amount of water volume needed when DT drains to sump from a power failure, etc. Nothing worse than watching the water rise then slowly spilling over the sump making a huge mess everywhere. Not to mention how much water you'd be short when tank powers back up.
As long as the pump is sufficiently under water is all that really matters. How deep is first dictated by above, but secondly, how much forgiveness you want in case ato fails to do it's job. In my case, I have enough water to give me at least a couple of days of evap before pump gets dry, but if the tank drains, the sump gets quite full, but won't spill over top.

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Listen to @mfinn and @CollectOyster04 using the old float valve bracket marks will work, probably, but it won't help you at all if you use that sump later with a different tank or that tank with a different sump. You need to understand the way a sump is set up or it will always frustrate you. Even an AIO tank needs to have the chambers set up correctly.

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, because what if your water level is low or high? The red seas are meant to be where the Float valve is set, so I would set around there.
If the water level is low or high then that needs to be dealt with and whether you have an ato or not is irrelevant. My comment was based on having the correct water level.

Ato just maintains a level. So is the question where should I put my ato or what my water level should be?

OP
OP
R

rfft2321

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the water level is low or high then that needs to be dealt with and whether you have an ato or not is irrelevant. My comment was based on having the correct water level.

Ato just maintains a level. So is the question where should I put my ato or what my water level should be?
Right now my water level is where it needs to be. I can turn my pumps off and have it till the sump with no over flow. I also have proper water in the drain area. I’m guessing I should set the ATO sensor where the water height is now with everything stable and the pumps running. Then when evap occurs and my return level lowers it will bring the level in the return chamber back up. Am I on the right track of thinking here ??

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now my water level is where it needs to be. I can turn my pumps off and have it till the sump with no over flow. I also have proper water in the drain area. I’m guessing I should set the ATO sensor where the water height is now with everything stable and the pumps running. Then when evap occurs and my return level lowers it will bring the level in the return chamber back up. Am I on the right track of thinking here ??
Unless I’m missing something that’s super unique to your situation then the answer is yes.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Perfect.
You got it.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.2%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back