Return Pump Check Valve?

dbroncos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reefers getting ready to setup my Red Sea Reefer 200 and using silicone tubing for my DC return pump. Do I need to install a check valve to avoid back syphoning? Or anything otherwise I should proactively do to avoid this?

hoffmeyerz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also create a syphon break by drilling a small hole in the return about 1/4" below the waterline. Just need to check it every once-in-a-while with tank maintenance to make sure it didn't clog with any kind of growth. Can be stand alone or backup to a check valve.

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience check valves are an unnecessary restriction and provide a false confidence. They WILL fail. Best to make sure at least one return nozzle is positioned a little higher and sump has enough volume to hold whatever siphons back in until it sucks air. Test it a few times to make sure, then you can sleep soundly.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flapper valves are better than check valves and seem to last longer.

Drill an anti-siphon hole in the return just under the water line. This is reliable as long as you don't let it get clogged up with algae.

Jamie814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not needed unless you are running multiple return pumps to prevent one pump from becoming a back siphon drain right into the other return pump should one fail or loose power.

No check valve will seal 100% especially in a marine aquarium. It will prevent a surge back siphon but that is it.

Your sump needs to be large enough to hold all back siphon volume during a power outage or pump failure.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any downside to a check valve?

A number have stated.....it will fail. If you're looking for a siphon break, and this is the only way I'd use a check valve, consider Melev's Reef reverse check valve.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 6 10.5%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 23 40.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back