Return pump flow

BigUgliesNY

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an issue with my water return pump. I have an Octo AQ3000 return pump in my sump and an Octo classic 50 int protein skimmer. My issue is that my return pump sucks more water than the skimmer can put out. Both are manually adjustable except the pump suction doesn’t change no matter what i turn it to. The wall between my skimmer and the clean water chamber is adjustable but if I raise the wall the chamber runs so low that the air purge fills the display tank with bubbles galore. There is a steady flow of clean water coming from the skimmer but not fast enough to keep the retun chamber filled enough to avoid purging. Please, any suggestions.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
As mentioned add a valve to the pumps output.
Figure out a way to adjust this wall between the pump and skimmer so they both have enough water.
Add some more water?

OP
OP
BigUgliesNY

BigUgliesNY

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you try to adjust the return overflow gate valve?
Is that the valve on the skimmer? I’m a newbie still learning. If i adjust the valve on the skimmer for the flow of clean water into the return chamber, it doesn’t fill the chamber with enough water to prevent the return pump from purging air into the display. The return pump sucks the water out no matter how I manually set it.
Have you try to adjust the return overflow gate valve?

Attachments

• IMG_0408.jpeg
    IMG_0408.jpeg
    165.1 KB · Views: 50
OP
OP
BigUgliesNY

BigUgliesNY

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that the valve on the skimmer? I’m a newbie still learning. If i adjust the valve on the skimmer for the flow of clean water into the return chamber, it doesn’t fill the chamber with enough water to prevent the return pump from purging air into the display. The return pump sucks the water out no matter how I manually set it.
Also, the wall between the main chamber and the return chamber always overflows into the return. Anytime I’ve raised the wall to its max, the return pump sucks the water too fast And the flow from the skimmer never flows fast enough to keep up with it. Frustrating.

OP
OP
BigUgliesNY

BigUgliesNY

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned add a valve to the pumps output.
Figure out a way to adjust this wall between the pump and skimmer so they both have enough water.
Add some more water?
I was thinking about replacing the return hose with a pvc pipe and a gate valve. That just might do it. Thank you.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Looks like there is plenty of room to add more water.
Is there a reason you haven't?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
First thing before I would add water is to shut off the return pump and see how much water settles in the sump.
The space from the water line in the sump to the top of the sump is usable space to add water. I wouldn't use all that space. Maybe give yourself a couple inches of wiggle room.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
You can also get a little more room by raising the outflow inside the tank closer to the waters surface.
It may take a few try's to get the most room. Too close to the top of the water will result in a vortex that draws air down and creates air bubbles in the tank. Sometimes there is a inch or two to play with.

OP
OP
BigUgliesNY

BigUgliesNY

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then you're going to have to reduce the flow of the return pump. restrict the outlet of the return pump.
To the system. Sump or tank, doesn't matter it will balance out.
yes i have. Adding to the tank doesn’t raise the level due to the displays back panel intake built into the tank. The only way to successfully raise level in the tank is to almost completely close the return ball valve. I think I will try the installing of a gate on the return tube.

OP
OP
BigUgliesNY

BigUgliesNY

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thing before I would add water is to shut off the return pump and see how much water settles in the sump.
The space from the water line in the sump to the top of the sump is usable space to add water. I wouldn't use all that space. Maybe give yourself a couple inches of wiggle room.
Then how do i stop the overflow of water filling up the return chamber with dirty water.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
yes i have. Adding to the tank doesn’t raise the level due to the displays back panel intake built into the tank. The only way to successfully raise level in the tank is to almost completely close the return ball valve. I think I will try the installing of a gate on the return tube.
Guess I should have asked more about the tanks drain size and what tank is it?
If the pump is over powering the drain capacity, then you will have low water in the sump.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Then how do i stop the overflow of water filling up the return chamber with dirty water.
I think trying to run all the water going to the sump through the skimmer is difficult to achieve.
IMO water should flow freely through the sump. The skimmer is only going to capture part of that and process it.

OP
OP
BigUgliesNY

BigUgliesNY

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess I should have asked more about the tanks drain size and what tank is it?
If the pump is over powering the drain capacity, then you will have low water in the sump.
what if I divert the outflow of clean water from the skimmer up and over the the top of the return chamber and close the wall??

Attachments

• IMG_0406.jpeg
    IMG_0406.jpeg
    160.2 KB · Views: 34
OP
OP
BigUgliesNY

BigUgliesNY

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think trying to run all the water going to the sump through the skimmer is difficult to achieve.
IMO water should flow freely through the sump. The skimmer is only going to capture part of that and process it.
Doesn’t that mean that the same water flowing out only goes through the filter sock and flows back into the return chamber Over and over again?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Doesn’t that mean that the same water flowing out only goes through the filter sock and flows back into the return chamber Over and over again?
Some of it yes. But as it passes near the skimmer some of that water is pulled into it and processed.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Many people use a refugium as part of their sumps.
Skimmer section then a refugium section ( or the other way around).
This will process more water in a single pass.
With your filter socks, you have already removed the floating detritus from the tank.
But trying to run all of the water through the skimmer means you have to have a large enough skimmer or a slow enough return pump to make the 2 balance out.
Adding a valve to the return pump may help that out.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back