OP
BigUgliesNY

BigUgliesNY

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many people use a refugium as part of their sumps.
Skimmer section then a refugium section ( or the other way around).
This will process more water in a single pass.
With your filter socks, you have already removed the floating detritus from the tank.
But trying to run all of the water through the skimmer means you have to have a large enough skimmer or a slow enough return pump to make the 2 balance out.
Adding a valve to the return pump may help that out.
Thank you that seems the valve way to go

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
One thing you want to maintain is enough water passing through the overflow box to remove surface scum.
By valving down the return pump too much might prevent that.
One of those "rules of thumb" we pass around is you want between 3x-6x the tank volume through the sump.
In the last couple decades that figure has moved as high as 10x the tank volume through the sump. Personally I shoot for 5x to 6x on my tanks.
Sometimes the size of our sumps and equipment will dictate how much can be achieved.

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't mean to butt in on the conversation but are you aware that the Octo AQ3000 has adjustable flow capability? Do you have the flow adjuster fully open, closed or somewhere in between? Also you should not be using stainless steel hose clamps. They will eventually start to rust in saltwater and or from salt creep. They make plastic hose clamps for aquarium use.

disaster999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But trying to run all of the water through the skimmer means you have to have a large enough skimmer or a slow enough return pump to make the 2 balance out.
Adding a valve to the return pump may help that out.
I would strongly against that. This vicious cycle of trying to balance out the flow of 2 pumps will never work and will only result in you pulling your hair out constantly adjusting and readjusting the return pump valve. The only way to do this correctly but HIGHLY impractical would require level sensors, a variable speed pump with fine enough speed adjustment and a DIY controller as there is no off the shelf solution in the market that I know of to that suits your needs. Even then this isnt a 100% fool proof solution where level senors would eventually fail or the controller not working etc etc. Its just too much of a hassle for what its worth.

Just use the sump as intended and let water throw through all chambers back into the return section. Accept the fact that no all water will be "cleaned" through the skimmer (Pssst, even the water exiting the skimmer isnt 100% "cleaned") and just move on.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I would strongly against that. This vicious cycle of trying to balance out the flow of 2 pumps will never work and will only result in you pulling your hair out constantly adjusting and readjusting the return pump valve. The only way to do this correctly but HIGHLY impractical would require level sensors, a variable speed pump with fine enough speed adjustment and a DIY controller as there is no off the shelf solution in the market that I know of to that suits your needs. Even then this isnt a 100% fool proof solution where level senors would eventually fail or the controller not working etc etc. Its just too much of a hassle for what its worth.

Just use the sump as intended and let water throw through all chambers back into the return section. Accept the fact that no all water will be "cleaned" through the skimmer (Pssst, even the water exiting the skimmer isnt 100% "cleaned") and just move on.
I didn't recommend he do that.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 86 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back