Return Pump Not Turning Back On

lrp693

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having some issues with my Sicce Syncra 1.0. When I do a water change or turn off pump for feeding, the pump does not come back on 90% of the time without me having to manually spin the impeller. This causes me to have to completely remove it from the tank and dismantle it and spin it to get it going again. I clean it out completely regularly and I still have the issue after cleaning. It has only started after about 8 months of using the pump.

Has anyone else experienced this problem or have a solution to this issue?

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not had this problem before. Best solution since you are taking care of your pump is to replace it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Pull pump out and remove impeller. Clean the hole and magnet and blades with a toothbrush and plug back in

OP
OP
lrp693

lrp693

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pull pump out and remove impeller. Clean the hole and magnet and blades with a toothbrush and plug back in
I have done this twice already, and it hasn’t helped the issue. Once it’s running, it performs fine, but if I turn it off and try to turn it on again, it doesn’t want to start back up by itself.

NYCMAN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe it does not have back pressure. Make sure you return lines have water in them when you restart the pump.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would recommend the 'scrubbing' - but also wiping with a vinegar solution with careful rinsing. Make sure there are no pieces of plastic - or the magnet - that have become 'worn' - I had this problem once when a grain of sand got between the magnet and the inside part of the pump - this left 1) an irregular surface on the magnet (damaged) - and also an irregular surface on the inside where the magnet sits. If either of these are present - it will 'stick

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done this twice already, and it hasn’t helped the issue. Once it’s running, it performs fine, but if I turn it off and try to turn it on again, it doesn’t want to start back up by itself.
Problem with AC pumps. Sometimes they kick back on in reverse (or catch like yours is).

I actually purchased a Sicce 1.5 as a recommendation as an upgrade on my IM Nuvo10 but further research seems to indicate they’re noisy and unreliable. I’m keeping it as a backup.

I would point you at the IM DC return pumps. I’ve had great luck with them in my AIO tanks although I’ve had to replace the 328gph model a couple times so I recommend 2. The 528gph model is my go to utility pump for sterilizers and things but would not fit in my 10 gallon. They’re dead silent and fairly reliable. The controllers also have a feed mode button.

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am having the same issue. Last time I pulled it out thinking it was dirty, but it was not. I soaked it in vinegar and cleaned it anyway and it worked for a bit then it stopped working today, again. What about the warranty? I got it used

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
warranties are not usually honored for used equipment. Buy a new one?

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having some issues with my Sicce Syncra 1.0. When I do a water change or turn off pump for feeding, the pump does not come back on 90% of the time without me having to manually spin the impeller. This causes me to have to completely remove it from the tank and dismantle it and spin it to get it going again. I clean it out completely regularly and I still have the issue after cleaning. It has only started after about 8 months of using the pump.

Has anyone else experienced this problem or have a solution to this issue?
Most manufacturers Carrie at least a one-year warranty I would contact them to try for a warranty repair or exchange

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not a sign of a dirty pump, its a sign of pump failure.

Get a DC pump, they pay for themselves in electricity bill cutting. Having great luck with jabao
Can you recommend a dc return pump that is about the same size as the sicce 1.0 that fits in the little nano chamber?

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I took it out, it’s not dirty. I pulled it apart and put it right back and it works again? what the heck. Pretty sure it will stopped a week later.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check the magnet on the impeller for cracks or other signs of wear. If you see anything, then order a new impeller. Everybody should have a backup return pump, so plan on this for the future. In the mean time, stop turning off the pump at feeding time... just not necessary at all.

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check the magnet on the impeller for cracks or other signs of wear. If you see anything, then order a new impeller. Everybody should have a backup return pump, so plan on this for the future. In the mean time, stop turning off the pump at feeding time... just not necessary at all.
Agree but disagreed on turning off the return pump part. If you leave the return pump on, some of the food will be ended up wasted and went through the overflow boxes, filter socks or whatever the case maybe. Therefore, unwanted nutrients will be higher. Plus feed amino daily for all my tanks. If you got a better explanation, maybe I will leave all my return pumps on.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you put food in your tank, the bio load is there. It does not matter if the fish get it, bacteria or something else. All will get consumed. If you don't want nutrients in your tank, then don't add them.

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you put food in your tank, the bio load is there. It does not matter if the fish get it, bacteria or something else. All will get consumed. If you don't want nutrients in your tank, then don't add them.
But if about 30% of the food are not consumed by my fish because they got pushed by the return pump then I lost that 30% of food and became waste.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 40 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back