Custom Rustic Nano Reef Build

lrp693

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy there!

I’m a little late to the game on getting my tank build posted in this thread considering that it has been up and running for almost 6 months (only two weeks away from the half-year checkpoint!)

Anyway, I still wanted to get it posted and show the progress and maybe inspire some folks to bring some of the creativity that we place in decorating the inside of our tanks to the outside!

I first became interested in keeping a reef tank about a year ago. I had been on a pretty consistent rotation of having a freshwater tank every time I moved to a new place, but I didn’t enjoy the limitations of color and variety that came with a small freshwater build. That’s when I decided to take the leap of faith into the saltwater world! Living in a relatively small house, I knew that I didn’t have the space for a humongous tank, nor the budget (maybe a more important limitation than the space, haha). So, being that I couldn’t make a completely surrounded large display tank with a huge sump underneath, I decided to go with the nano option to save me a little space. Being a designer and having an innate desire to have everything as neat and tidy as possible, I decided to build my own surround that suited the space for the proposed tank and the overall design of my house. That being said, I placed my order for the Fluval Evo 13.5 and got to work on building the stand as I waited for it to arrive. I knew that given the crisp corner on the end of the tank, I wanted to show off the clean edge while hiding all of the utilitarian elements of the aquatic hobby (i.e. filtration, lights, cables, tubes, etc.) so I did just that! My tank stand cost me about $7 dollars which was the cost of the nails and screws used to hold it together. I made a simple base from 2x4’s and covered that in pallet boards, all of which I was gifted from a construction site’s scrap pile. I made sure to leave enough room on the rear to clean the back glass and on the side to easily monitor the filtration compartments.

[Side note on the Fluval Evo: I know that this is definitely not the best nano reef system on the market but in my history of keeping aquatic life, I have always been drawn to Fluval’s clean lines and simple designs. Also, I have never had a single problem (knock-on-pallet-wood) with any of their systems in the past.]

Moving on...knowing that I would need easy access to the tank, I made the entire top section and surround on the sides removable in one piece so that I can simply lift it off of the base and have 360 degree working space. (I also attached the stand to the wall just to remove any possibility that it fall over).

After the system arrived along with the live rock and live sand that I orderedI eagerly threw everything together and waited as the cycling process began. My tank cycled very quickly (about two weeks) and after triple checking all the parameters I decided to start off with some easy starter fish (my two clowns) and a simple clean-up crew to get a head start on maintenance. Once everything was going well, I slowly started to add in more inhabitants, giving everything more than enough time to balance out before adding new life to the tank. I also still keep up with a strict weekly 20% water change that is required of such a small system.

After a couple months, I did a small upgrade to the filtration by placing some extra bio foam and carbon and zeolite crystal in the third chamber and everything is going great! I added some coral in the third month, and even though this was a little early according to my research, my parameters were spot on so I decided to go ahead and place some easier starter corals to get things rolling. I bought a small Duncan frag to begin that had two small heads and a small piece of orange montipora. The Duncan put on TEN new heads in the last two months and the monti has tripled in size. The latest additions are a small green candy cane frag and some simple zoas.

(I’m now dealing with a slight GHA bloom but I am working to get that cleared up, gotta love hitchhikers!)

All in all, this has been a great learning experience and I’m so glad that I decided to start a saltwater tank. I just can’t wait to move at some point in the future and have enough room to get a larger system started.

(I am attaching some pictures that show the overall build, the storage space below, and the lid removed.)
30C34787-A8C2-49BE-B84F-71C9F2A187B9.jpeg
D3154773-F9B5-44C4-8A63-DEF1237ED933.jpeg
30C626AD-50FE-4584-BFC0-6FBC0A0BB552.jpeg

OP
OP
lrp693

lrp693

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8 Month Update:

Since my last post I have accomplished a lot! I finally got the GHA under control with balancing my nutrient load and clean-up crew quantity. The tank has been looking so clean lately and I’m glad I don’t have to scrub the glass every single day anymore.

Also, after doing lots of research I changed up my lighting schedule. I am now running a 6-on-6-off schedule where my tank is on from 6 am - 12 pm and 6 pm - 12 am and off the rest of the time. Despite what some say, my fish and corals are more active and vibrant during the on times than they ever were before and I think this has helped immensely in keeping the algae at bay.

As far as filtration and flow, I have upgraded the pump to a Sicce 1.0 and replaced the stock dual flange outputs to one 1/2” Random Flow Generator (RFG). I love that the RFG increases the dispersion of the water flow and looks so much more natural when the corals catch the random flow. I have also noticed far less “dead spots” throughout the tank and don’t see as much debris buildup. I would definitely recommend!

All in all, I have added several new SPS and LPS corals and a new bubble tip anemone in the past couple months and everything is looking, eating, and growing great! Also, I just noticed today that both my acro frags that I placed about a month ago have started encrusting over their plugs! Excited for the 1 year mark!

789AACD8-4D88-48EF-9527-DF3CD525213E.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
lrp693

lrp693

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TANK’S FIRST BIRTHDAY
SO much has changed since my last update. There have been plenty of ups and downs, but everything is going really well all things considered.

The biggest change to the system was upgrading my stock Fluval LED strip to an AI Prime 16HD unit. The driving factor behind the change was my inability to keep SPS corals. After about a month of any type of SPS being in the tank, they would slowly begin to lose color and ultimately bleach and die off. After checking water parameters religiously, I knew that the chemistry wasn’t the problem. The only thing that could be the culprit was the lights. After doing some intense research on spectrum and PAR, I realized that the stock lights were simply not cut out to grow SPS. While they would maintain the corals for awhile, and have signs of growth, the quality of light was just not enough, so I decided to upgrade.

Before installing the new lights, I knew that I had to figure out a way to still have a cover on the tank to guard against escapees and keep excessive evaporation at bay. I ended up designing a custom acrylic lid that I laser cut with removable parts for easy feeding and filtration maintenance. The upgrade has been flawless and everything in the tank looks better than it ever has in the past. I love the customization available with the spectrum and that I can finally have a good fluorescent effect from the corals.

Since the upgrade, I have added a ton of frags from different species and now I am quickly running out of room! Some of my starter corals will soon be replaced with more unique and higher quality species now that I feel comfortable with being able to keep all types of coral. I’m so glad I decided to upgrade!

D88BE65E-4890-4B14-898D-35725B363A99.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.2%
Back