Return pump recommendation?

Which return pumps for this system?

• Total voters

SteveG_inDC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planning a 240g DT with 1.5" full bean overflow to 100g tank configured as sump. Returns: overflow has two 1" holes for return line.
Standard sump configuration with refugium. No reactors or UV planned (may come later?)

I want to run submersible. The sump already has a 1" bulkhead (currently capped), but it's a bit too high to be useful, about 7" off the bottom.

Should I go with two Vectra M2s? Is that overkill? I happen to have a Mag 12 lying around. I suspect that wouldn't be enough. I have a second Mag 12 on my mixing station and a Blueline 55HD lying around. I suppose I could try to put the Blueline on my mixing station, use the two Mag 12s for the returns and save myself a lot of money. I put the Mag 12 on the mixing station because space is tight and I'm not sure i can fit the blueline.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like my current eflux. Super cheap and very quiet. I haven't used many pumps but I highly recommend this one.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest going with something that has a longer warranty- I am particular to Sicce (5 year) or Reef Octopus Varios (2 year). Italian goodness.

The Sicce SDC 7.0 is 1900gph, 5 year warranty, and has wifi control w. temperature monitoring for $350. Has alerts for clogged impeller, running dry, temperature, etc.

Or their 9.0, for $50 more than the M2, is 2500gph.

edit: had the wrong head height numbers (was looking at the wrong model), removed them.

Last edited:

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest going with something that has a longer warranty and better performance- I am particular to Sicce (5 year) or Reef Octopus Varios (2 year).

The Sicce SDC 7.0 is 1900gph, 5 year warranty, and has Wifi control w. temperature monitoring for $350.

At 10ft of head height, the Sicce 7.0 has over 1200 gph.
At 10ft of head height, the Vectra M2 is down to 800gph.

Better pump. Better warranty.

+1 for sicce pumps.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't be happier with my fluval sp series

Hausser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want a DC adjustable then varios are great. I currently run a varios 8 on my Redsea reefer 650 peninsula.

If you do not want a DC pump you can adjust them the fluval SP are Fanta pumps, they are very quiet and run forever, I use to run fluval on my old 300 gallon DT.

Don Lidtke

Some Old Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running a pair of Neptune Cor20's. I am running an Apex system so these fit into the system well. They have run for almost two years with the only failure being one power supply. Maintenance is very easy and the flow is more than sufficient.

My system is a 250 gallons.

Cor20 Flow.png

Cor20 Graph.png

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about the two versus one return question? BRS recommends two, but then again, they are selling them.

Its debatable I guess- primarily depending on whether you have a tank controller such as Neptune Apex. With a modern setup using a controller, you can have flow meters, float switches monitoring water level, the ability to monitor pump power usage to detect issues, and be instantly notified of a problem.

If one pump is experiencing an issue, such as being clogged/overheating or both are running dry, the system will need intervention already. The reaction to abnormal power usage can be automated with a aquarium controller, shutting one down, but if you don't have a controller, you will need to notice the issue and manually intervene ASAP regardless of having one pump or two.

One main benefit of two return pumps is that you can plug them into two different power circuits, assuming you have two circuits wired to the tank. So if a GFCI trips and one goes out, the other can remain powered. If you cant do that, I am not sure it is worth the cost.

slojim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use the pumps i already have, at least for now. And i agree that putting the 2 returns on different gfci circuits is a better mousetrap. Have them as independent as you can.

Fish & Coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Planning a 240g DT with 1.5" full bean overflow to 100g tank configured as sump. Returns: overflow has two 1" holes for return line.
Standard sump configuration with refugium. No reactors or UV planned (may come later?)

I want to run submersible. The sump already has a 1" bulkhead (currently capped), but it's a bit too high to be useful, about 7" off the bottom.

Should I go with two Vectra M2s? Is that overkill? I happen to have a Mag 12 lying around. I suspect that wouldn't be enough. I have a second Mag 12 on my mixing station and a Blueline 55HD lying around. I suppose I could try to put the Blueline on my mixing station, use the two Mag 12s for the returns and save myself a lot of money. I put the Mag 12 on the mixing station because space is tight and I'm not sure i can fit the blueline.
I never used a vectra before but i hear they are good. I used mag drive. They are very reliable and strong pumps. They last for a long time if you maintained them and not too expensive.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm happy with Reef Octo VarioS 8 returns in two tanks. They're not too expensive, dependable, have lots of nice features, and integrate well with my Apex controllers. I've thought about upgrading to something bombproof like an Abyzz, but for now these are working well.

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So im going to go the super cheap route, but this thing kicks butt. The Aquastation silent swirl. A lot of good reviews on amazon and even here on R2R if searched.
Really makes 0 noises. Great price, extremely powerful. The pumps on these never seem to fail, the controller seems to go out before the pump. I also love oversizing my pumps to run at 50-75 percent power, as im my head it makes me feel it will last longer, and seemingly has for any brand pump ive used.
Ive bought the 12,000 liter one(3100+gph) have had it for about 2-3 years now, run it at 75 percent, no issues other then the clear controller plastic cover over the buttons is finally drying out and coming off. Never cleaned the pump once. Amazon link.
aquastation Silent Swirl

aquastation.jpg

U

User1

View Badges
I'm not going to recommend one but rather ask a couple of questions that you may or may not have factored in.

1. Do you own a controller? If so, which one?
2. Do you run a skimmer and if so what pump does it use?

If you own say an Apex controller then I would consider running either a pair of Cor 15's or a Cor 15 and Cor 20. This way you can control it via the controller and it integrates into your ecosystem. Why 2? Well failover should anything happen. Why a Cor 15 and Cor 20? Cor 15 plugs into the energybar and the Cor 20 has its own power supply. The Cor 20 plugged into a different outlet, not the energy bar, gives you a bit of redundancy should something fail by being plugged into the wall.

If you own a skimmer another option is to replace the pump if not large enough or match the returns to it. This way should a return fail you can take the skimmer offline and use its pump for return without issues to your tank and in 5 minutes or less. My skimmer and return pumps are all the same and can be swapped in and out in 2 minutes or less by anyone. Sort of a nice option to have.

TL; DR if you have a controller check to see if it has pump options. Skimmer pump - maybe look to use the same if it meets flow for spare. Video below may help. Best of luck.

Edit: forgot to say that my tanks overflow sounds familiar at 210 gallons with a Bean Animal overflow 3 x 1.5 inch drain and 2 x 1 inch returns. I love it - works wonders.

Best of 2019 via BRStv

joseserrano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sicce or hydor. Both good Italian pumps. Hydor is extremely reasonably price. Sunpole is also a great option

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running a pair of Neptune Cor20's. I am running an Apex system so these fit into the system well. They have run for almost two years with the only failure being one power supply. Maintenance is very easy and the flow is more than sufficient.

My system is a 250 gallons.

Cor20 Flow.png

Cor20 Graph.png
I'm nervous about that...I got two for my return pumps. Still waiting on my tank and I keep getting the impression neptune doesn't understand how to build power supplies lol

OP
OP
SteveG_inDC

SteveG_inDC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not going to recommend one but rather ask a couple of questions that you may or may not have factored in.

1. Do you own a controller? If so, which one?
2. Do you run a skimmer and if so what pump does it use?

Edit: forgot to say that my tanks overflow sounds familiar at 210 gallons with a Bean Animal overflow 3 x 1.5 inch drain and 2 x 1 inch returns. I love it - works wonders.

Best of 2019 via BRStv

I guess everyone interpreted this to be asking what pumps are good. I sort of meant to ask how much flow is good for this size system. I don't have a controller. Was going to run my system more or less manually for a few months before I set up a controller, just to see what my needs really are. I'm impressed with Neptune's marketing but not their products.

In fact, I was going to start out using all the stuff I have lying around from my last tank and just see what needs to be upgraded. Hence the use of Mag drives, of which I have several. My skimmer is an AquaC EV 150, probably undersized for my system, but I plan to keep a lot of rock and very deep sand bed and will build up the bioload slowly, so I don't expect to be very dependent on protein skimming, at least not at first. I was going to run that skimmer with a mag drive (Mag 7 or 9).

U

User1

View Badges
I guess everyone interpreted this to be asking what pumps are good. I sort of meant to ask how much flow is good for this size system. I don't have a controller. Was going to run my system more or less manually for a few months before I set up a controller, just to see what my needs really are. I'm impressed with Neptune's marketing but not their products.

In fact, I was going to start out using all the stuff I have lying around from my last tank and just see what needs to be upgraded. Hence the use of Mag drives, of which I have several. My skimmer is an AquaC EV 150, probably undersized for my system, but I plan to keep a lot of rock and very deep sand bed and will build up the bioload slowly, so I don't expect to be very dependent on protein skimming, at least not at first. I was going to run that skimmer with a mag drive (Mag 7 or 9).

Ah, got it. So no controller then just ignore the Cor part. I was just suggesting if you do own a controller, or thinking about one, then it could help guide you towards one pumps that they support.

Sounds like you have a plan and thats what counts :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 18.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back