Return Pump Recommendations (Cor or Varios?)

Which Pump would you recommend?

• Total voters

mal7887

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I am looking to gather some input on return pumps.

I have a 190 gallon tank that is running a Vectra L1. The L1 has been running since Sep 2016 with no issues. I did run a M1 prior to the L1 and in a few month span I had replaced two power supplies and one pump entirely. The M1 was running at 100%, and when Ecotech replaced the pump, I decided to upgrade to an L1 under the thought process I wouldn't be running it at 100% and would have less wear /demand on the pump. It has been a solid return pump and Ecotech customer service was pretty good too.

Fast forward to today, I am starting to travel a bunch and in September I am going to be out of the country in China for a few weeks. Knowing that my L1 is approaching 3 years I am looking at replacing the return. (otherwise I just won't be able to sleep at night!)

Rather than looking at another single large return pump, I am thinking about doing dual return pumps. This will give me piece of mind and redundancy in the event of equipment failure.

I have basically narrowed my choices down to either running dual Reef Octopus Various-6 or Neptune Cor 15's.

I am heavily invested in the Neptune Eco system and generally speaking I am a fan of their products. (I've had ups and downs with some products (wavs), but customer service has always taken care of me) I like the idea of the control you get with their Cor pumps... However, I have had a Various pump on my skimmer since 2015 and that pump has been rock solid since day 1 so I am def a fan of their products.

What's everyone thoughts on the two? Any successes and/or failures or other input you would like to share?

P.S. you might be wondering why I'm not considering dual M1's also. It boils down to one thing... lack of compatibility with Apex. When the Vectra launched Tim from Ecotech promised in interviews compatibility with 3rd party controllers, this obviously never came to be and was a conscious decision by Ecotech. For this reason, I will never by another one of their return pumps.

20171219_173433.jpg

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with various...I do not like having the vitals depend on a conteoller or any other factor.
Skimmer, lights, power heads and return pumps I rather have them stand alone and reduce dependency..

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fluval SP4, they have engineered out two out three common problems with DC pumps, power supply and controller.

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are pros and cos in both products. If it was my tank I would probably go with two COR15 just because they don’t require power bricks. But if you don’t mind dealing with wires and the bricks I would go with VarioS because they seem to be less finicky than the COR pumps. I find my COR require more frequent cleaning than the VarioS.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are pros and cos in both products. If it was my tank I would probably go with two COR15 just because they don’t require power bricks. But if you don’t mind dealing with wires and the bricks I would go with VarioS because they seem to be less finicky than the COR pumps. I find my COR require more frequent cleaning than the VarioS.
What do you mean no wires with cor?

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fluval SP4, they have engineered out two out three common problems with DC pumps, power supply and controller.

My preference for return pumps is also an AC pump due to the reasons you list, I'm using a Sicce Syncra Pro 1000.
OP - will you be adjusting the flow of your return periodically? What unique features of the COR appeal to you?

Maybe they mean no power supply if using 1Link?

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My preference for return pumps is also an AC pump due to the reasons you list, I'm using a Sicce Syncra Pro 1000.
OP - will you be adjusting the flow of your return periodically? What unique features of the COR appeal to you?

Maybe they mean no power supply if using 1Link?
Agreed. If you really care about flow(and you should) you either get a really good dc pump like red dragon, or get an AC.
I feel once your system is above 75g, anything beyond that is eastern of money where you will pay premium for subpar product..

OP
OP
mal7887

mal7887

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I like the integration with the Apex, getting detailed information about the pump such as temp, flow rate and any error conditions. I also like to use the ramp down function during feeding so that the pump still runs just enough so that the flow is stopped but there is no back siphon. With it being a return pump, I don't really see a reason to adjust the flow once installed.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I wouldn't make a pump change before a trip. I would buy an L2 backup and put in the closet. If the pump L1 fails, then replace it with the backup.

OP
OP
mal7887

mal7887

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I wouldn't make a pump change before a trip. I would buy an L2 backup and put in the closet. If the pump L1 fails, then replace it with the backup.

Luckily I have some time before this trip. Which is why i'm looking at this now rather than right before I leave.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the integration with the Apex, getting detailed information about the pump such as temp, flow rate and any error conditions. I also like to use the ramp down function during feeding so that the pump still runs just enough so that the flow is stopped but there is no back siphon. With it being a return pump, I don't really see a reason to adjust the flow once installed.
The informations you get about a return pump is useless honestly. The most relavent info you need from a return pump is flow rate, this you get by using flowmeter, which I do by using japanese flow meter after trying the Neptune fmm and failed horribly.
Getting a reliable return pump is much more important than integrating with a controller. All you need is the pump connected to a controlled outlet that's about it. All the other fluff is..well fluff.

Return pump need to push enough flow per your system. 5 to 10 times your water volume should be the goal. Many of the DC pumps in the market will not give 1/3 advertised flow rate once you introduce simple head pressure that is your plumbing...
My 2 cents.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your planning on two returns I’d make one whichever DC option you prefer and the other an old reliable AC. Doesn’t even have to be a very strong AC just something to keep water moving in the case of a failure of the primary return.

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The informations you get about a return pump is useless honestly. The most relavent info you need from a return pump is flow rate, this you get by using flowmeter, which I do by using japanese flow meter after trying the Neptune fmm and failed horribly.
Getting a reliable return pump is much more important than integrating with a controller. All you need is the pump connected to a controlled outlet that's about it. All the other fluff is..well fluff.

Return pump need to push enough flow per your system. 5 to 10 times your water volume should be the goal. Many of the DC pumps in the market will not give 1/3 advertised flow rate once you introduce simple head pressure that is your plumbing...
My 2 cents.
Where do you get your Japanese flow meters if you don't mind me asking?

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The COR15 doesn’t require a power brick if you go with 1link. It may not sound like a big deal but when you add up all the lights, powerheads, controllers, etc, not having a power brick is kind of a big deal.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know that either one of those is more reliable than the current pump. If just wanting a pump to run and run, then get a Fluval, Laguna, Ehiem or Tunze... decades of reliability.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The COR15 doesn’t require a power brick if you go with 1link. It may not sound like a big deal but when you add up all the lights, powerheads, controllers, etc, not having a power brick is kind of a big deal.
This means there is power brick. Just not called power brick and it's more brilliant where in regular products you expect the power supply is included here you need to buy a seprate power supply yet feel good about it ha ha.
The way I see it, it's even less reliable than a real power brick, because while I do not have core, I would guess if something goes wrong with apex, link1 might follow...is my assumption correct?
I got your answer..

Last edited:

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This means there is power brick. Just not called power brick and it's more brilliant where in regular products you expect the power supply is included here you need to buy a seprate power supply yet feel good about it ha ha.
The way I see it, it's even less reliable than a real power brick, because while I do not have core, I would guess if something goes wrong with apex, link1 might follow...is my assumption correct?
I got your answer..

You don’t need to buy anything extra if you already have the new Apex. The Power Bar 832 has three ports that you can connect the pump to.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back