Return Pump

E.intheC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Elos System 70 (55 gallons) and need a return pump.

Over the years I’ve used Sicce or Eheim, generally.

How are the DC pumps in general? I don’t want something unreliable, especially if it’s a return pump.

What are you currently using?

bar|none

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the new Sicce Syncra SDC 6.0 Wifi Pump on a Reefer 170 and it is quite awesome. I'm running at about 45% on lagoon mode with does a gentle up and down on flow but is consistent enough to keep the return flow tuned.

The dry run protection works without the need for a float switch. You also get an alert (from app on phone/tablet) when the pumps dry run protection kicks in or when pump goes offline as well.

Already saved my bacon on vacation when I got dry run alert and realized my ATO settings where not working, dosed ATO with Neptune remote and problem gone.

Last edited:

Huff747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a Reef Octopus Varios and have been happy with it. I like the float switch that shuts it off if the water level gets too low and it's dead quiet.

I had a Jebao DCT-something on my last tank and no complaints with it either.

OP
OP
E.intheC

E.intheC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies everyone. I like the look of the Sicce controllable pump, and I’ve heard great things about the octo pump as well. Does anyone know what motor block the varios is based off of?

BantyRooster97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my opinion, but for me the sicce pumps have been very unreliable. I currently have a 3.0 running on one of my tanks And i’m Looking to replace it (it stopped running for no reason over The Weekend) plus I have a 5.0 and a 7.0 I use for parts that froze up for no reason.

bar|none

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything fails...It can happen at any time...no matter how reliable

One of my favorite quotes is "geologic time is now"

The more interesting question is what happens when it does?

Not saying that you shouldn't shop for reliable because you should.

All points are valid...

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I take it that you have power heads inside your DT? I would not run a tank without one.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Laguna and Fluval for me. I will consider a DC pump when I see 5+ years of operation without iteration and changes to fix bugs or problems... this has not happened yet.

DC is not where you want to be if reliability is your chief concern.

BantyRooster97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jda I hear that same thing all the time... sicce are supposed to be awesome, but in my tanks they are the only ones that have failed me in the last 5+ years besides a jabeo (to be expected).

I do have a very old 10+ year old dc no name pond pump from ebay, that was on my very first tank in my office in 08 that still runs like a top... funny, it was only like $40.

Never had a fluval, but was actually looking at the newer red version... it just seems to be too strong.

OP
OP
E.intheC

E.intheC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Laguna and Fluval for me. I will consider a DC pump when I see 5+ years of operation without iteration and changes to fix bugs or problems... this has not happened yet.

DC is not where you want to be if reliability is your chief concern.

I like laguna quite a bit as well. Agreed on reliability aspect

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Fluval SP2 might work great, I know the SP4 is a large pump I wonder what the size of the SP2 is.
I was asking if you had a power heads because I would not trust a tank with a DC pump as my only source of circulation.

Rmaksim33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the new Sicce Syncra SDC 6.0 Wifi Pump on a Reefer 170 and it is quite awesome. I'm running at about 45% on lagoon mode with does a gentle up and down on flow but is consistent enough to keep the return flow tuned.

The dry run protection works without the need for a float switch. You also get an alert (from app on phone/tablet) when the pumps dry run protection kicks in or when pump goes offline as well.

Already saved my bacon on vacation when I got dry run alert and realized my ATO settings where not working, dosed ATO with Neptune remote and problem gone.

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently returned to the hobby. The entire DC pump is new to me. I but a used system and it came with a DC pump. It is incredibly quiet. But I run it on full blast except for feed mode. I would probably be just as happy with an AC pump at one setting. I feel the more flow the better. Before investing in a DC pump ask yourself if you need the various levels that a DC pump offers.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 36 19.3%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 139 74.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.8%
Back