Return pump

  • Thread starter Thread starter Reefer911
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 23, 2022
Messages
1,536
Reaction score
888
Location
Pensacola, FL
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking to get a return pump and want quality, so no Chinese crap, but I’m also wondering if there are any pumps that also monitor flow rates and have an actual readout display showing actual gph/lph. Is there such an animal without having to add a flow sensor?
 
I've had vectra and core...both high end pumps. I would still take the jebao dcp pump over them. Dead quiet and bullet proof. This is not to spark up a Chinese ripping off something debate...I hate it too..but they are legit returns.
 
There is no way a centrifugal pump can measure its flow. The DC pumps show a percentage of the pump speed but there is no direct relationship to the flow since it depends on the head. You need to have an external flow meter if you want to know the actual flow.
 
I’ve use eco tech and Jebao (“Chinese crap”)

Jebao is far superior in every way, best pumps I’ve used, 3 running for 4 years now with no cleaning and no issues.
 
Red Dragon 3 for an "affordable" German pump. Abyzz if money is no object. You will need a separate flow monitoring device.
 
Tank size, submersible, external, head height? I'm running a reeflo external in the basement and recently pulled an eheim compacton 2100 and replaced it with a Jeboa DCP-3500 (Chinese crap) and couldn't be happier.
 
Red Dragon 3 for an "affordable" German pump. Abyzz if money is no object. You will need a separate flow monitoring device.
I’ll check out Red Dragon. I haven’t heard of them, but I like German quality.

Everyone sporting the Jebao pumps…I have one and have no issues with it. My issue is supporting a communist regime. I avoid Chinese made things when I can. The only reason I have one is that my LFS picked it out for me and I had no idea what I was doing in this hobby.
 
I’ll check out Red Dragon. I haven’t heard of them, but I like German quality.

Everyone sporting the Jebao pumps…I have one and have no issues with it. My issue is supporting a communist regime. I avoid Chinese made things when I can. The only reason I have one is that my LFS picked it out for me and I had no idea what I was doing in this hobby.
Understand that.
 
Jebao return pump. You will not regret it. Can not monitor the GPH with digital readout, but does come with a controller to set it anywhere between 30-100% and will show you the relative amps it is using
 
Not to ruffle any feathers, but all of the components inside the pump controllers, diodes, capacitors, pc boards, etc are all made in china. It's virtually impossible to not buy something that's not made or manufactured or sourced from China. Even those "German" made items are probably sourcing parts from China.
 
Not to ruffle any feathers, but all of the components inside the pump controllers, diodes, capacitors, pc boards, etc are all made in china. It's virtually impossible to not buy something that's not made or manufactured or sourced from China. Even those "German" made items are probably sourcing parts from China.
Yeah I know you’re correct, at least on some level.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 12 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 34.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 25 15.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new