Returning after a 20-Year Break

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is one of the first decisions to make. It seems that much has changed since the days of overdriven halides and VHOs! It appears that LED has taken over and there are MANY manufacturers. Whoever has the best spectrum, PAR, most quiet/effective fans, easiest upgrade, and most well supported warranty: they will be my choice (if they exist) :face-with-tears-of-joy:
Looks like you're going with t5! Good choice.:rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Jimbhoy13

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R BigBen.
H8VECcFiTCylIqSp-MdpRw.jpeg

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
That is one of the first decisions to make. It seems that much has changed since the days of overdriven halides and VHOs! It appears that LED has taken over and there are MANY manufacturers. Whoever has the best spectrum, PAR, most quiet/effective fans, easiest upgrade, and most well supported warranty: they will be my choice (if they exist) :face-with-tears-of-joy:

It’s a great question and exercise. Just talked with a long time reefer still on halides at the lfs the other day. Apparently he can’t get ahold of anyone at Hamilton, he can’t find radion bulbs.

I had to go look at the brs page and see it for myself.

bryce.martin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!

Just thought I'd introduce myself. Now that our family has settled and the kids are older, I'm slowly getting back into reefkeeping. My experience was with LPS and SPS in the early 1990s through 2005. I was fortunate at that time to be in the Houston area with Eric Borneman and others. If any of you older folks are here, I was known on ReefCentral as "bigben". However, I didn't post much then because I couldn't afford a digital camera (that was the thing then) as a graduate student :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:Anyways, looking forward to learning and sharing experiences with you all!
In the same boat with yah, its been about 20 years out the hobby for me as well. There is an overwhelmly amount of products out there isnt there. Its not like it used to be where we all made sumps, took multiple tanks drilled them and plumbed together. I just got back in three months back, still setting up, let me know if you need pointers where to look for brands as Ive been on it heavy.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back