Returning to saltwater after 40 years

Hi All,

I’ve been researching for a new BioCube 32 build and came across R2R. Pretty impressed.

I had several freshwater tanks as a kid In the 70’s And several others since, including an automated Cichlid tank.

I started my first of three saltwater tanks in 1980, In my dorm room, pictured below. Pacific coast tidal critters I caught myself. Please don’t do that now as it’s not legal anymore. In spite of what appears to be primitive equipment, these tanks thrived. I even had a series of octopus’ thrive. When one got to big, he went back and was replaced with a new smaller one.

This tank was vintage even in 1980
94B08FD6-4488-4936-8C5A-C16DDB53E7DF.jpeg

10 gallon metal frame With incandescent bulb
Crushed coral substrate
Under gravel filter driven by air stones
Real seawater, plants/kelp/algae?, fish, anemones, hermits, snails, crabs, octopus (not all home in this picture)
No heater

Welcome to the R2R channel.
 
Wow, that's awesome, I'm back after 20 plus years and that tank/setup looks alot like what I started with lol

Welcome back and enjoy the new technologies available, I'm still playing catch up lol

ZomboMeme 10092020124447.jpg
 
Welcome to the best reef! I wish I had a picture of my FW tank from earlier than 1980!! What memories. I didn't have a camera back then and I bred guppies and sold them to the LFS.

Elaine

1599785331701.png
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 3 5.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 25.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 14 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 16.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 14.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new