• Stick with manly Halides

Votes: 5 83.3%

• Total voters

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is in regards to a 90g I'm cranking up to rejoin the hobby. Current lighting setup is two250w Phoenix DE Halides in cheap pendants. One of the lumatek ballasts is no longer functioning. The bulbs were probably over a year old before being boxed up for 9 years. Costs to get a new pair of ballasts, I'm concerned about one firing different than the other, and 2 new bulbs puts me at around $420.

A pair of 165w Viparspectra with timers is about $280. I always like my halides and but I've wanted dawn dusk aticnic times as well. Was kicking around t5 retro fit but again more $$. This is the biggest driver for LEDs for me. Halide heat isn't much of an issue.

SPS plans are right now limited to pocillopora, pink birdsnest, green slimer, and a few Monti plates.

Tank is planned to be heavy on candy canes, frogspawn, hammers, and trachy or six.

So I thinks that's enough info to set up the question, what are the thoughts on it?

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on how patient you are. I see halides for sale pretty cheap, but you have to look. I bought a bunch and put into storage just in case. They are more expensive now to get used, but several years back, people would sell them for pennies on the dollar. I got 4 very good condition lumenarc reflectors + 4 selectable galaxy ballasts for $120.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 32 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back