Reverse Osmosis System - Worth it?

Oscar’s25Gal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! I currently have a 25 gal however in mid August I will be changing to a 120 gallon (450 litres)

It will be 5 foot long and the main reason I am upgrading is because I would love to keep larger fish. I have been offered a reverse osmosis system by someone for free, however it has to be constantly plumbed in to the drain in my bathroom, and it takes quite a while to prepare water so I came on here to ask if it really is worth it?

Could anyone please help and thank you.

Krixic

A Tad Obsessed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my understanding, its totally worth it. Sure beats going to the LPS every week. Just make sure you get the DI filter so you can get your tap down to 0 TDS or close to it. Have you been using tap prior to this?

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Definitely worth it. Probably the most important piece of equipment honestly. Unless you just don’t mind paying all the time. I run through about 80G a week so it’s an absolute necessity. You’ll use probably 30 with top off? That adds up!

Anthrax15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10000% worth it. Don't have to dread going to the LFS for water, lugging it all back, worrying about if the water is actually filtered like the employees say, the list goes on and on.

Having a reservoir of RO/DI water ready to go and being able to have the certainty of quality is one less than you need to worry about if your tank is having issues.

I recommend if you are worried about how long it takes to produce water, purchase a booster pump. I can fill up a 32g Brute trash can in a couple hours with the help of a booster pump.

You can go another step further to help automate it and set up a reservoir, get a float valve and be able to make water and not worry about it overflowing.

Last edited:

sixline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been offered a reverse osmosis system by someone for free, however it has to be constantly plumbed in to the drain in my bathroom, and it takes quite a while to prepare water so I came on here to ask if it really is worth it?

Are you keeping fish only, or will you have corals and invertebrates as well?

Also when you say it needs to be constantly plumbed in to the drain in my bathroom, do you mean that it needs to be permanently installed? Because I don't think most RODI systems (or any I've seen) have this requirement. I have a Captive Purity RODI system and I only hook it up when I need to make water.

OP
OP
Oscar’s25Gal

Oscar’s25Gal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on keeping corals, inverts and fish. I'm not sure if it needs to be permanently installed but it was quite hard to hook up.

3D Reefin'

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on keeping corals, inverts and fish. I'm not sure if it needs to be permanently installed but it was quite hard to hook up.

RODI systems are worth their weight in gold. I got mine from BRS Supply, they have a water saver option that makes RODI water faster, worth it if you are making small batches and need them quick.

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you get the picture. RODI is probably one of the best investments you can make in this hobby. It’s literally the life blood for a majority of the creatures you’ll be housing in your tank. Good water happy critters bad water not happy.

I’d also recommend looking at storage solutions to help avoid those long waits between water prep. If you go that route make sure the containers are rated for food safe storage.

OP
OP
Oscar’s25Gal

Oscar’s25Gal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you keeping fish only, or will you have corals and invertebrates as well?

Also when you say it needs to be constantly plumbed in to the drain in my bathroom, do you mean that it needs to be permanently installed? Because I don't think most RODI systems (or any I've seen) have this requirement. I have a Captive Purity RODI system and I only hook it up when I need to make water.
I live in an apartment so I do not have a basement or laundry area to keep it permanently connected which is why I was asking whether it was worth it. With all of your positive responses It sounds like a very useful piece of equipment but could I ask how you hook up your system to prepare the water, and how you un hook it when you don't need to use it for anything?

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I had a system that I would just connect when I needed and unplugged when I didn’t. It was a rental house and I couldn’t plumb it in.

You can get a faucet adapter to go on your sink then just turn it on. I kept it all in the bathtub just in case I forgot it was going and overflowed my bucket. Just ran a longer line from the sink. Waste line just went into the tub as well.

you probably just need a 90 gallon per day unit. So you’ll be making 5g in what....an hour and a half? Easy easy. $5/hr in savings.

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in an apartment so I do not have a basement or laundry area to keep it permanently connected which is why I was asking whether it was worth it. With all of your positive responses It sounds like a very useful piece of equipment but could I ask how you hook up your system to prepare the water, and how you un hook it when you don't need to use it for anything?
I live in an apartment as well and I just keep my in a storage bin in the closet and when I need it I just hook it up to my kitchen sink. When done just unhook it and put it back. I also have some 5 gallon water jugs that I fill up so I always have 15-20 gallons on hand.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back