revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks guys.

Hey have you guys ever put in a piece of glass and sealed it?

I got the panel out fine and its ready for a new piece of glass and its ready for silicone.

Is this something I can do?

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yea they do pre-drill for $15 a hole. So I am looking at about $65 I think total. Hopefully not more....

Thanks.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a video and pics of the tank drill and crack. Maybe somebody can see something I did wrong.

Also I will let you know about the glass tomorrow.

Here is a teaser pic.

crackedtank.jpg

TyreeUM

the other Tyree...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like a break from the actual bit-did it break right when you finally went through the glass? Sorry about your luck rev-sealing a tank is easy just make sure you push the calk and dont pull it across the seam.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey Tyree can you explain a little more?

Thanks.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ya it did stink, but I am getting over it. :)

Thanks.

VanHalen

Runnin With The DevilFish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's really horrible bro...But, like you said...things could be worse...

You already know all this and I'd like to re-iterate it for anyone else that might not know. When drilling, it's essential to have a RUNNING FLOW of cool water. The debris from the drilling has to be washed away or there might be and uneven-ness in the drilling. You should also drill at a medium speed.

That's all my opinion of course. I've drilled about maybe 6 holes in glass in my whole life so I'm NOT the expert here. LOL

As far as re-installing the new piece...that's cake-walk. Just make sure you completely removed the old silicone from the old glass and thouroughly clean the old glass and new piece with alcohol. Then, apply ample amounts of fresh silicone to the clean glass and place the new piece into place.

Then, apply another small line of silicone to the corners and run your finger up and down the corner to spread in out and to push it into the seam. Trick: use painter's masking tape to create perfectly straight lines. Simply mask off where you don't want the silicone. That's show you'll get a professional looking finish ;)

If you use alcohol to keep your finger wet, youll get a better spread and get it off your finger easier.

Take your time and don't think you're dong anything wrong. The only concern I'd have is whether or not the new piece is exactly the same thickness :D

So sorry to hear about that again :(

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks Andy! I guess we are doing this at your house right? :D

Well ordered the glass today. Found a place that would ge it to me for $33. So not to bad considering what all th other places wanted.

On a side note, I am going to try and drill it again! This time out of the tank.

It comes in Wednesday.

VanHalen

Runnin With The DevilFish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Andy! I guess we are doing this at your house right? :D

Well ordered the glass today. Found a place that would ge it to me for $33. So not to bad considering what all th other places wanted.

On a side note, I am going to try and drill it again! This time out of the tank.

It comes in Wednesday.

Hey, I'm all for having ya bring it over! Drilling it while it's not in the tank is ideal cause we can put a board beneath it for more support. Another thing I forgot to mention is it's a good idea to put msking tape on the OPPOSITE side of your drilling. It seems like I can see tape right where you drilled?

When it comes in, bring it and the tank down...I'll take care of ya :D:D Heck, while we're at it, we'll make some shelves for clams and and ricordeas :D:D THAT would be soooo cool!!

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well update.

Got the glass today and decided to try and drill it by myself.............

I drilled it and all is well! :) I have also already painted it and went to silicone it and noticed I got BLACK silicone instead of clear! AGG!

Oh well, I will silicone tomorrow and then I will be out of town till Sunday. I will fill it up Sunday and let it sit for a day and check for leaks.

If there is no leaks then I will have the tank set up pretty quick!

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I actually got the silicone from petco. The all-glass brand. I heard the GE 1 silicone will turn yellow eventually.

What is the dap stuff?

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice start Rev, and smart move staying away from that GE stuff. Not worth the money you may save. I made the mistake of using GE before they put the anti-bacteria label on it. I was not happy the next morning.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks all!

The hole is for the drain. I decided to run my returns over the top to keep from having to drill any more holes.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 45 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 67.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back