1   0   0

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not tried this yet.
If you are willing to break down the system, than you should definitely give it a try before you do. I beat dinos twice, once in two different systems by dosing peroxide. I have tons of sps corals and none of them even noticed when I was dosing it. Took about a week but then they were gone.

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure dose hydrogen peroxide. 1ml/10 gals Rev. Keep this up for a couple months while shortening lighting period. Blast the rocks/sand daily and then add the hydrogen peroxide shortly afterwards. Use filter socks and change them daily. You will get through this sir! We're all rooting for you!

SPotter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this sounds extreme but I know 3 local guys who beat it with dosing Clorox bleach. I wouldn’t have believed it had I not witnessed it first hand.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and I actually removed all of my rock and replaced it with cycled rock from Fiji, Had it flown in! Even replaced about 75% of my sand. I've thrown a lot more money at this thing but you all know the old saying...money can't buy me love! :p

Rev, when I was battling this stuff last year, I did a full restart, including bleaching the tank and plumbing.
I didn't realize you put in the new rock! Since you have the other tank to hold your coral, it would have been "easy" to completely tear down the old one, bleach it and replace with all new rock and sand.
You can't leave any trace of the dinos in there. At least from what I've seen. Kill it with fire! ;Punch
Sorry you are still dealing with this. It sucks!

joelbegt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been in your shoes rev and dealing with the devil’s snot can be a humbling experience to say the least. I tried a more controversial approach than most do and had some success. In the end I wish I would have also tried Ozone.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the words of encouragement everyone.

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a hard time believing that the answer to dinos is in the extreme measures. I would think that it all comes down to out-competing them and balancing the diversity of the system over time.

I'll have to read through the other thread to see what others have recommended.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For sure dose hydrogen peroxide. 1ml/10 gals Rev. Keep this up for a couple months while shortening lighting period. Blast the rocks/sand daily and then add the hydrogen peroxide shortly afterwards. Use filter socks and change them daily. You will get through this sir! We're all rooting for you!

So just add it to the sump or what? Also any particular brand?

Also once the algae is beat the only way it can come back is from an outside source or what?

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also once the algae is beat the only way it can come back is from an outside source or what?
I add it directly to an area of high flow. If you have zoas, they'll close up immediately but will open shortly afterwards.

My procedure was to blast all the dinos into the water column, then dose my peroxide, cackle a bit with maniacal laughter as the peroxide kills them off, and then clear out filters socks and rinse them a couple hours after this whole process. I did this every day for a month and saw great results. I continued dosing peroxide and blasting any new growth for a month afterwards and didn't see it again.

I do run a large UV unit as well but that's always running and not just for dinos.

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Rev, when I beat dinos with peroxide, I dosed at night when they were free swimming and I just dosed directly into the display. Both times I beat it they were gone in a week. At first I tried to be very precise with the 1 ml per 10 gals but the second time in a different tank I wasn't as precise and dosed even a little more and nothing negative happened. Here is a great thread I followed before I started it. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/dinoflagellates-my-experience-h2o2-reefing-tool.52084/

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I add it directly to an area of high flow. If you have zoas, they'll close up immediately but will open shortly afterwards.

My procedure was to blast all the dinos into the water column, then dose my peroxide, cackle a bit with maniacal laughter as the peroxide kills them off, and then clear out filters socks and rinse them a couple hours after this whole process. I did this every day for a month and saw great results. I continued dosing peroxide and blasting any new growth for a month afterwards and didn't see it again.

I do run a large UV unit as well but that's always running and not just for dinos.

Rev, when I beat dinos with peroxide, I dosed at night when they were free swimming and I just dosed directly into the display. Both times I beat it they were gone in a week. At first I tried to be very precise with the 1 ml per 10 gals but the second time in a different time I wasn't as precise and dosed even a little more and nothing negative happened. Here is a great thread I followed before I started it. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/dinoflagellates-my-experience-h2o2-reefing-tool.52084/

Thanks guys! Any particular brand of peroxide?

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! Any particular brand of peroxide?
Mine was whatever was cheapest at the grocery store. It's the 3% hydrogen peroxide. I did have a bottle laying around the house but went out and bought a new bottle just to dose to make sure the peroxide wasn't old.

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was whatever was cheapest at the grocery store. It's the 3% hydrogen peroxide. I did have a bottle laying around the house but went out and bought a new bottle just to dose to make sure the peroxide wasn't old.
+1

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back