RFBF's Five Footer

Discussion in 'Member Tanks' started by redfishbluefish, Jan 12, 2016.

1. TheEngineer

TheEngineer Formerly icecool2 R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Delaware Reef Club Build Thread Contributor

Sheesh. It will be worth the wait, I’m sure.

redfishbluefish likes this.

2. redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish Stay Positive, Stay Productive R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor NJRC Member

I'm like a five year old at Christmas time.....I just received the verification e-mail from Glass Cages....this Saturday at 5PM I'm picking up the new tank!!! WOO HOO!

3. redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish Stay Positive, Stay Productive R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor NJRC Member

When my tank started to leak and fail, my first thoughts were replacing the tank by transferring everthing over to the new tank. Since the delivery has been delayed twice, I've had time to give it more thought and have decided to do a Do-Over ....something that was commonly yelled when growing up in the 60's and playing games with other neighborhood kids. My tank is over ten years old, has softies that have taken over the tank, and in addition, a nice crop of aiptasia. So it's time to start all over. I began by pulling out the seven salt buckets of rocks I have:

Rocks.jpg

I set up a table and drew out the dimensions of the tank. My current rock structure is more or less the Berlin Wall. My wishes now are to open it up. This is my first shot, that took all of three minutes. I'm taking this first go as a starting point.

First Rock Structure.jpg

The next step will be bleaching the rock. I don't believe in acid dipping. The only thing that does is give you less rock.

I also realize this Do-Over will add 1 1/2 to 2 months to the change over because of curing and cycling the rock. Just wished I came to this conclusion in December....the rock would be about ready by now! :D

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    chefjpaul, Maritimer and TheEngineer like this.
  4. redfishbluefish

New tank has landed. Here it is dumped inside the front door of the house. WooHoo. Now the fun begins.

New Tank Arrives Home.jpg

kschweer and TheEngineer like this.
  5. kschweer

kschweer Zoas!!! Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award NJRC Member Partner Member 2018

Looks well built! Good luck with the instal Paul!

6. redfishbluefish

Thanks Kevin. I'm aware Glass Cages had mixed reviews, but I must say, upon first inspection, I'm impressed......and extremely happy. That said, the pick up was a bit scary, watching the drive drag other tanks around the back of the truck. Luckily my tank was in the front corner of the truck, still strapped to the side of the truck. FYI, one guy there, his tank wasn't on the truck. :eek: If that would have happened to me......:mad::mad::mad::mad:.

kschweer likes this.
  7. redfishbluefish

TheEngineer and kschweer like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted