OP
OP
Rhino

Rhino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those of you who used pvc, did you secure your pipes on the drain or return so that all of the weight is not on the bulkhead or does it matter?

GOSKN5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really depends on the length of the pipe etc... I have done it both ways... for my 80 shallow, I did a long run on my drain pipe almost all the way to the other side of the tank... so I took a zip tie and supported the middle of the pipe... it felt like I bit too much pressure on the bulkhead for me...

Hope that makes sense... I can post a pic if you need more clarification

OP
OP
Rhino

Rhino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really depends on the length of the pipe etc... I have done it both ways... for my 80 shallow, I did a long run on my drain pipe almost all the way to the other side of the tank... so I took a zip tie and supported the middle of the pipe... it felt like I bit too much pressure on the bulkhead for me...

Hope that makes sense... I can post a pic if you need more clarification

Sound great. Thanks for the info. Time to plumb.

GOSKN5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem...my return is essentially straight up so no bracing needed there... goodluck... one word of advice..

Measure everything.. then put it all together dry... use a marker to mark the pieces and what angle they connect to each other... then glue... and account for the fact that it will probably go together a little tighter when glued

OP
OP
Rhino

Rhino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dry fit the drain this morning. Had to use 45 degree elbows to make it work. Threaded connection right after the bulkhead in case it needs to be disassembled later. Going to dry fit the return tonight and cement it all together. How long should it cure before it sees water?

OP
OP
Rhino

Rhino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1417123864.815311.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1417123874.725254.jpg

GOSKN5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't really need to cure long... I have done as short as 15 minutes haha... overnight is plenty

OP
OP
Rhino

Rhino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This build will be the death of me. I have decided that after my first attempt at plumbing....I hate it. I have tried braided and pvc, may just stick with braided vinyl for now until I get more experience. Tonight I dropped my mag drive 9.5 in my garage and busted the housing....time for a new pump. Tank is now delayed for at least a couple of weeks.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the issue with the pvc?
And just FYI, if using the correct PVC cement, it can be put into use immediately. Usually says so right on the can.
Another tip... use unions wherever you think you might want to disable things.

OP
OP
Rhino

Rhino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the issue with the pvc?
And just FYI, if using the correct PVC cement, it can be put into use immediately. Usually says so right on the can.
Another tip... use unions wherever you think you might want to disable things.

I have never worked with pvc before so that's one issue. I thought I would try braided tube instead and it is also a pain. I can't find an easy way to plumb it so I can take the bulk head nut off so I can disassemble everything when I move it from my garage to my living room. I don't really see it being possible though with out cutting off a pipe which makes no sense to do. So when I move it I may just have a small section of pipe hanging down. Do you guys use slip unions and bulkheads or threaded?

GOSKN5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's gonna take at least one piece or two of cementing once it's in place... the only way around it is to use a threaded adapter right out of the bulkheads... I use slip for it all... you can assemble the entire thing from the bulkhead down.. then cement it to the bulkhead when it's in its final place...

nelson.jdautobody

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1413304721.596317.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1413304733.557266.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1413304752.230795.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1413304763.110270.jpg

Here are pics of the stand all painted up. Still have to cut a hole in the top for the plumbing and build a door. I am working on some different ideas for the door, something that will add a splash of color to the stand, so it is not so white and sterile looking.

Bravo on the stand-looks like a solid construction. I'm taking notes :)

OP
OP
Rhino

Rhino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's gonna take at least one piece or two of cementing once it's in place... the only way around it is to use a threaded adapter right out of the bulkheads... I use slip for it all... you can assemble the entire thing from the bulkhead down.. then cement it to the bulkhead when it's in its final place...

See that's what I thought. Live and learn. I will have to do this.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use slip unions.
You just unscrew them and then the two halves slide apart.
I use them a lot. Especially before and after pumps, or any other equipment that's tied into the plumbing.
I also use them on my drains at the tank. So it goes bulkhead ---> union ---> drain

OP
OP
Rhino

Rhino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after sleeping on it I am going to try to silicone the case of the mag drive so the crack is sealed. I hope this will make it work no problem, especially since it's brand new and has not even gotten wet. If that doesn't work at least everyone has them on sale due to the holiday. What brand do you all use?

GOSKN5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could probably also try some hardening epoxy like jb weld?? It's aquarium safe as well and hardens like a rock...

I'm using a Speedwave DC return that I like a lot...

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 28.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 40 27.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 52 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.4%
Back