Rick flower anemone help

Runningfanatic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just purchased my first rock flower anemone a few days ago. I've turned off my power heads (they were blowing him all over the place). But he's shrinking and upside down. They're supposed to be easy, but I'm afraid I'm killing him! What do I do?

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

E.J.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience they anchor themselves down rather quickly. Sometimes they'll seek out a nook in the rock work or end up attaching at a spot along the border between the rock and sand. Perhaps keep the current going, but place it in a sheltered location, or put some rubble or small rocks in a small tupperware along with the anemone and place the whole thing in the tank. Then when it anchors you can carefully remove the rock and place it in a calm spot.

OP
OP
Runningfanatic

Runningfanatic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience they anchor themselves down rather quickly. Sometimes they'll seek out a nook in the rock work or end up attaching at a spot along the border between the rock and sand. Perhaps keep the current going, but place it in a sheltered location, or put some rubble or small rocks in a small tupperware along with the anemone and place the whole thing in the tank. Then when it anchors you can carefully remove the rock and place it in a calm spot.
Thanks. I'll give that a try. Even with the power heads off, he somehow managed to get to the back of the tank in the last few hours. He still looks terrible.

reefah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kill the wavemaker and pump & tend to just let them sit on a rock or surface not really the sand and they will typically settle within 10-15 minutes. Then I turn the pump back on... wait another 15 minutes and put the wavemaker back on.
works like a charm every time.

OP
OP
Runningfanatic

Runningfanatic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kill the wavemaker and pump & tend to just let them sit on a rock or surface not really the sand and they will typically settle within 10-15 minutes. Then I turn the pump back on... wait another 15 minutes and put the wavemaker back on.
works like a charm every time.
Thank you for the advice. I've had him since Sunday, and he hasn't settled on anything.

OP
OP
Runningfanatic

Runningfanatic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sad to report that my new pet did not make it. He succumbed so quickly. I'm wondering if there is a possibility of Vibrant still in my system? If so, could this have caused his quick death? I had stopped the Vibrant a few weeks ago, and had done a 50% water change prior to getting this anemone. All my parameters are in the "ok" range, and it's a 10 year old tank. I cannot think of anything else that could possible have caused his death! Any thoughts?

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so sorry.
When I get a new rock nem I do a few things to help it secure and thrive.
First, I make sure all powerheads are off in the system.
Then I have a rock with some good size holes in it that I want the nem to attach to. I gently hold the nem with the foot to the rock and my finger over the mouth for about 30seconds to 1 minutes onto the rock in one of the little holes.
Then let it be.
I leave all flow off until the rock nem is showing some signs of attaching. Usually takes less than an hour.
Then I try some flow to see how it does.

Once it is attached, you can move that rock where you may want it, but give it a chance to settle into it before messing with it too much.

OP
OP
Runningfanatic

Runningfanatic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so sorry.
When I get a new rock nem I do a few things to help it secure and thrive.
First, I make sure all powerheads are off in the system.
Then I have a rock with some good size holes in it that I want the nem to attach to. I gently hold the nem with the foot to the rock and my finger over the mouth for about 30seconds to 1 minutes onto the rock in one of the little holes.
Then let it be.
I leave all flow off until the rock nem is showing some signs of attaching. Usually takes less than an hour.
Then I try some flow to see how it does.

Once it is attached, you can move that rock where you may want it, but give it a chance to settle into it before messing with it too much.
Yeah, I had turned off the powerheads because he was initially being pushed around. But, even after that, he refused to attach to anything. I love these creatures and want to try again, but I'm afraid to at this point. I don't want them to have an early death!

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must be the only person who blunders into success... I have 2 beautiful RFA in my tank and I did nothing advised here. I simply placed them where I wanted and walked away. They are still there, happy, healthy and beautiful. I ordered a half dozen more from the RTA sale last night... When they arrive next week maybe I will try placing them with the flow turned off...

OP
OP
Runningfanatic

Runningfanatic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must be the only person who blunders into success... I have 2 beautiful RFA in my tank and I did nothing advised here. I simply placed them where I wanted and walked away. They are still there, happy, healthy and beautiful. I ordered a half dozen more from the RTA sale last night... When they arrive next week maybe I will try placing them with the flow turned off...
I'm jealous...lol

ShrimpBandit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you ever do any kind of medication on the new additions? I bought two online and they have been great. Then I bought one from my LFS and it was awesome! ...for maybe three weeks until the mouth started to gape and it released its foot and basically melted in short order. Now the happy, healthy RFA that was closest to it is doing some weird new puffing up stuff that has me a tiny bit concerned.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never really tried any meds on these guys. I suppose similar to the large carpets, you could try cipro, but watch out for the dosing. I would research a lot first to make sure.

E.J.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you ever do any kind of medication on the new additions? I bought two online and they have been great. Then I bought one from my LFS and it was awesome! ...for maybe three weeks until the mouth started to gape and it released its foot and basically melted in short order. Now the happy, healthy RFA that was closest to it is doing some weird new puffing up stuff that has me a tiny bit concerned.
No, I've never tried meds with the anemones. They never had a problem acclimating. In your case I suppose some kind of viral or bacterial infection is possible.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 67 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back