OP
Rickyrooz

Rickyrooz

Acropora Nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome! I was just about to post about mounting frags to overflows, back walls, etc. I see your frags mounted on your overflow. Did you just use glue? Also, are they easy to remove if needed? Tank looks great!

I used epoxy so they should be easy to remove.

Da8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently experiencing polyp retraction on a few of my acropora and the tissue looks as though it is thinner than usual. Some of the colors look less vibrant and two acro's RTNed on me. I am using Instant Ocean sea salt and I dose ESV B-Ionic two part as well as ESV Transition Elements. I perform 15% weekly water changes, I do not run carbon or GFO but I did add BRS ROX 0.8 carbon two weeks ago hoping it would help resolve the issue of the stressed corals. I tested my RO/DI water which comes out 0 TDS and 0 for free and total chlorine which also means 0 chloramines. My last ICP test showed elevated Bromine, Iodine, Lithium, Selenium and low Barium, Fluorine, Molybdenum and Manganese. Nitrates read 9 ppm and Phosphates read 0.05 ppm. My Salifert Nitrate test kit was reading between 10 and 25ppm and the Hanna ULR Checker was reading 0.12 ppm during this time. I am continuing the perform water changes but this week I am going to perform two extra water changes. I am also dosing the depleted elements with ATI supplements. I dosed sodium nitrate and Seachem Phosphorus last night to bring my nutrient levels back up as I run alkalinity between 8.5 and 9.0 dKH and when I have better results with higher nutrient levels when running my tank at this level of alkalinity. I removed the BRS ROX 0.8 carbon as well. I did check my powerheads, return pump and heaters for corrosion and found nothing. To my surprise some of the stressed corals are still growing but they do not have the usual vibrant colors or polyp extension. I am trying to get my tank back to how it was a few months ago and mimic those water parameters. Stay tuned for updates as I hope I can turn my tank around . . .

ASD Strawberry Lemonade

January 25, 2020
ASDStrawberryLemonade.jpeg

March 14, 2020
ASD%2BStrawberry%2BLemonade.JPG

Been on similar thing... I had to stop dosing my balling.

In common, the high levels of iodine.

Same. Less color. No polip and thinner tissue. But just in some random colonies.

Quite weird. Nobody can give me an answer either.

On the other. Your animals and your photos are just stunning

OP
OP
Rickyrooz

Rickyrooz

Acropora Nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been on similar thing... I had to stop dosing my balling.

In common, the high levels of iodine.

Same. Less color. No polip and thinner tissue. But just in some random colonies.

Quite weird. Nobody can give me an answer either.

On the other. Your animals and your photos are just stunning

I believe my issues were related to poor source water. I have since changed all my filters, resin and membrane and things are beginning to turn around. I was shocked to see how quickly the carbon filters were spent and allowed chlorine/chloramines through.

tnyr5

Tony
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear things are on the mend. I had an RO scare last year, too. Luckily, I caught it before the DI burned out.

ajjw0828

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GREAT build thread! Looks like you definitely have a nack for growing SPS. Questions, I noticed you use tiles, just wondering where you buy them from and if you pre-soak them before putting in tank and for how long if so?

OP
OP
Rickyrooz

Rickyrooz

Acropora Nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is recovery thankfully . . .
The Interceptor treatment (two 23 mg tablets per 100 gallons) for three consecutive weeks has finally done its job. The key for making this medication effective was mixing it in boiling hot water which made it liquify after pulverizing it in the mortar and pestle.

BC%2BPink%2BMatrix%2B%2528Actinic%2529.jpg

BC Pink Matrix (Actinic Shot)

Hung%2527s%2BGrafting%2BRainbow%2BExplosion%2B%2528Actinic0.jpg

Hung's Grafting Rainbow Explosion (Actinic Shot)

Jurnee%2527s%2BUnicorn%2B%2528Actinic%2529.jpg

Jurnee's Unicorn (Actinic Shot)

Ricky%2527s%2BSuperman%2BTenuis%2B%2528Actinic%2529.jpg

Ricky's Superman Tenuis (Actinic Shot)

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nitrates with Salifert were 25 but my ICP test came back with 16. PO4 was 0.15 (Hanna) but ICP says 0.08 and I use six ATI Blue Plus and two ATI Coral Plus.

I think (could be wrong) in a previous post you mentioned you no longer run MH over the 120 and use an ATI fixture - how far off the water do you run it? Any idea of PAR - assume you targeted the same PAR as the MH?

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I began my first dipping procedure for the Indonesian Acropora I received last week and I found this guy in the coral branches (he is not a good acro crab).
DSC_1036_1.JPG

DSC_1035_1.JPG

DSC_1037_1.JPG

DSC_1039_1.JPG

DSC_1040_1.JPG

Do you have any references or evidence he's a bad guy? I know years ago we used to get the white ones with the bandit strip over the eyes and they were good/ok.

How big was that one pictured? I found one just like your pictures but he was all white on a new indo acro. He was not quite a 1/4" in diameter.

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ricky%2527s%2BOctopussy%2B%2528Actinic%2529.jpg

Ricky's Octopussy (Actinic Shot)

TCK%2BGrapefruit%2B%2528Actinic%2529.jpg

TCK Grapefruit (Actinic Shot)

WWC%2BCulture%2BShock%2B%2528Actinic%2529.jpg

WWC Culture Shock (Actinic Shot)

BigR%2BWalt%2BDisney%2B%2528Actinic%2529.jpg

BigR Walt Disney (Actinic Shot)

Jurnee%2527s%2BUnicorn%2B%2528Actinic%2529.jpg

Jurnee's Unicorn (Actinic Shot)

RR%2BOP%2B%2528Frag%2529.jpg

RR Ultimate Orange Passion (Actinic Shot)
Very nice! Glad to see your colors all came back. What is your photoperiod for your T5's? Thanks

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back