Ricordia shrinking

Jason boles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a lot going on, and I generally just wait it out, but all my shrooms have started shrinking all over the rock. They have been in the tank for varying times.

I have been doing a lot of research and trying to figure it out.

I did have an issue with an algae outbreak. Nothing to crazy. I have been removing it with my regular water changes (10% weekly sometimes done in one or two changes)

I stopped feeding the corals and fed my clown every other day just enough and it has mostly gone away. I do have some green bubble algae, but want to get my shrooms in check before I try anything else. So far not taking over.

I did add carbon for the first time today and am going to start using it. Up until now all my mushrooms have been happy and growing. I also added chemipure, but plan on removing that Sunday.

I read somewhere it could be a light issue so I did move my light a few inches closer. The other corals are enjoying that so far.

Phosphate is 0
DKH is 7.3 both via Hanna

Salifert rest
Ca 390
Mg 1290
DKH 7.7

I have also purchased two part to start dosing these back up as my water changes aren’t having an effect.

I also added a frogspawn. Is it too close? I can’t imagine it would be stinging shrooms on the opposite side.

Here are some pics. I’m open to suggestions and directions. They have been ticked before but now they look like they are retreating.

Pics from dec 6. Also when frogspawn was added (or around then)

D6AC774D-5D42-4CB2-A9DF-6658529306AC.jpeg
2CB57E72-D756-4C73-9C8C-DB12D31E780A.jpeg
D6AC774D-5D42-4CB2-A9DF-6658529306AC.jpeg

Here they are now.

946E0619-2E9F-4721-B4B8-3EC8A04C428D.jpeg
F137CC6C-1FC6-414B-9808-D19D58D28A91.jpeg
C68DB483-E974-4C24-929F-F098FA6A14DF.jpeg
F137CC6C-1FC6-414B-9808-D19D58D28A91.jpeg
C5545C8F-8061-43D6-8D4C-1307FFCE96D8.jpeg

OP
OP
J

Jason boles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anyone? Gonna keep with my current course for now.

I did also order vibrant as I would like to get rid of the green bubble algae before it spreads. I have tried removing it and siphoning but I inevitably pop a few.

OP
OP
J

Jason boles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1.026.... I have a atothat keeps it stable.

I added carbon and moved frogspawn. Away for a few days will see when I get back. One is a goner.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They prefer high nutrient water so your attempts at resolving your algae issue by starving the tank and adding carbon is probably negatively effecting them.. they do not like a lot of light, I start them in a low light area and only increase their exposure when they start stretching for the light. Ricordeas can be tough I have had a couple in my thriving nano for over two years and they haven’t grown at all.

Blackice615

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @Retroreef. Dont see your nitrates listed. I dont think it's the frogspawn Honestly coupled with the carbon. Seem like your water is too clean. If it were to be the frogspawn, perhaps only one to three ricordeas would be impacted.

Amy Cavanaugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same problem w my ricordea and other mushrooms and my Goniopora hasn’t opened in a week. It’s definitely not dead just not happy...I don’t know what to do

Blackice615

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also hows your flow on them?

Intended to mention I normally keep my Cal and Mag a little higher compared to yours also.

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can almost certainly say it’s the Chemipure. It strips nutrients out of the water too fast and will make most corals angry.

OP
OP
J

Jason boles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I didn’t add the carbon or chemipure until after they had been mad for over 2 weeks.

I removed the chemipure so it only stayed in the tank for 3 days just to make sure, and the carbon will go tomorrow. I did do the test to see if my water was yellow and it was nice a pristinely white.

I did move the frogspawn as well. They seem to be a little less Shrunk but still not looking all that great. The things on the opposite side of the rock from the frogspawn seem to have bounced back really nicely.

I have some vibrant for my algae issues. I’m going to start dozing it and going back to feeding twice a week. I’m also going to do a real good cleaning tomorrow. I can’t seem to get the big particles out. I’m going to go buy some custom sized tube at the hardware store tomorrow.

Frogspawn is in high flow now and is going to die. Going to take it to the LFS tomorrow. Only thing that makes me think it’s the frogspawn is I looked at the pic the day I got it and the rics were beautiful! Then shortly after shrank. I may have also purchased them together.

I also just bought stuff to dose and will be dosing the tank this week to get the levels back up. Still a young tank, and this is first time I have needed to dose.

Flow seems good. Moderate. The skirts used to ripple here and there but not blow up when the pump would ramp up.

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can almost certainly say it’s the Chemipure. It strips nutrients out of the water too fast and will make most corals angry.
Many factors involve for that to happen.

If one puts a bag in 200 gal tank with super high nutrients don't think that would hold true.

I do use it in a 10G AIO without any issue.
I don't use it in my larger tank as it wouldn't do anything.

OP
OP
J

Jason boles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My original plan was only for a few days just to be safe. I keep the system pretty darn clean!

I do have high hopes for vibrant.

I don’t think my shrooms are going to bounce back, but I never loose hope. I had something completely “die” that one day just came back and is trucking along. lol

Blackice615

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the time being at least. Also the ricordea is photosynthetic iirc

ramona

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nano sapiens has a beautiful ric garden in his 12 years old nano tank. :) I wonder what is his secret?

OP
OP
J

Jason boles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Haha. I have actually read through that whole entire thread on the other forum. Took weeks. His biggest secret is years of experience and a mature tank!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back