Rigging two phosban reactors off of one pump

JPUA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone do this? Can you tell me how or post a few pics? I just ordered one reactor but customer service said to get a seperate one two run GFO and Carbon. They said not too run both at the same time in the same unit....

BfishLpond78

F.U.P.A.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run mine off of my return pump...I have a barbed fitting that comes off the main return line which I connected another barbed "T" to which goes to two 90 degree barbed fittings right into my TLF 150 reactors. I also utilize the TLF 1/2 inch ball valves to control flow and shut down a reactor if need be. I'm at work so i can post a picture later if I still have them.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a 1/2" barbed tee at the hardware store which I inserted between the MJ600 powerhead and the two reactors. I placed the tee first then the two ball valves (one is included with each Phosban reactor), one for each reactor, next then to the inlet of each reactor.
By doing this you can control each reactor separately without affecting the other. GFO and carbon have different recommended flow requirements and different useful lives so now I can get the best life out of each.

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did this years ago for my 40 breeder (( just haven't set it back up since my move )), with an MJ400 pump.

reactor9.jpg

reactor2.jpg

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue I see with that arrangement is you cannot control them independently or take one out of service without affecting the other.
The idea behind separate chambers is to regulate the flow to each individually since different medias work best at different flows and they have different lifespans so being able to control each by itself is a big plus.

bucksfan1976

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have a pic of the actual reactors but I have a single Mag 18 running everything. I have attached a pic where you can see how I did it. I ran the individual ball valves that came with the reactors so I can control each one individually plus a put a ball valve in before I Td it off to go to the reactors, so I can either shut them both down together for maintenance or I can shut each off individually if something is wrong with one.

Jcouch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mag 9 that runs everything. I can take out a reactor and close the line with a ball valve. Very easy to do maintenance. Here is what I made... I have since cleaned up the tubing, but it gives you the idea.

ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1371135116.820279.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back