Risky not reef safe fish

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theres often questions about is this or that fish reef safe, so I thought Id change it up a bit. What is the riskiest fish youve ever kept that turned out to be a model citizen in every way? For me it was a picasso trigger. All of my inverts, from hermits to shrimp to softies were perfectly safe.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I have none lol. Every "use at your own risk" fish I have attempted to keep in a reef turned into a disaster.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me many times reef safe fish and the with caution fish both do not end up reef safe.

Cardinals that eat euphyllia and acans

And chromis that nip gonipora

Filefish that eat euphyllia and zoanthids.

Tiny zoa munching starfish

This is why I went a year without buying fish. I just got tired of things eating and killing my lps

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My riskiest today are;
IMG_0141.jpeg

IMG_0102.jpeg

I guess it depends on the context. My riskiest with coral are the Foxface, Majestic Angel, Fireball Angel, Yellow Longnose Butterfly and previously a Regal Angel and Coral Beauty.
My riskiest with Inverts is the Jade Wrasse and has also been a Sixline Wrasse.
Then aggression wise my riskiest is the Jade, 2 of my 4 flasher wrasse and previously a twin spot Bristletooth tang as well as a sixline.
And finally, care wise my riskiest are the Mombasa Pencil Wrasse, Diamond Tail Flasher Wrasse (due to his miniature size), Cleaner Wrasse, Blue Star Leopard Wrasse, Spotted Mandarin, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Twinspot Goby, Griessinger’s Goby, and the Majestic Angel. Previously I’ve also had a Marcosi Tilefish, Flashing Tilefish, a Regal Angel, Court Jester Gobies, and a Hectors Goby.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Reef safe with Caution" = Not Reef Safe

just my experience
Ive found the opposite where ‘RSWC’ Fish are more likely Reef Safe than not. But I also keep specific rules for Inverts/Corals I put with them.

OP
OP
R

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience soft corals are safe with almost anything. And not safe with inverts fish are safe as long as they are kept fed, especially if you go heavy with feeding for the first couple of weeks to get them used to food being provided. I had cleaner shrimp and every sort of snail/hermit in a tank with a picasso, a lion and a snowflake eel and I didnt lose a single invert.

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this emperor angle who we like to call El Heffe (the boss). He definitely is not 100% reef safe but i know what is reef safe with him (not zoa's or some other softies) and work around that now. I also have a 2nd tank to move things to that aren't working out (with 2 tangs, swallowtail angelfish, foxface and some other fish)
DSC_1433.jpeg

TimJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Valentini puffer and he’s amazing. He’ll eat some snails on occasion but has never bothered any more of my soft coral or lps.

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've currently got a Foxface, Flame Angel and a Lemonpeel Angel and they've all been fine with my corals, though the Lemonpeel may be picking at my Zoas. I see him pecking in that area occasionally, but the Zoas seem happy and healthy so he may just be eating stuff very near them.

alabella1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Theres often questions about is this or that fish reef safe, so I thought Id change it up a bit. What is the riskiest fish youve ever kept that turned out to be a model citizen in every way? For me it was a picasso trigger. All of my inverts, from hermits to shrimp to softies were perfectly safe.
not mine. Dude has decimated my entire CUC. Such a bummer because he has so much personality.

OP
OP
R

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not mine. Dude has decimated my entire CUC. Such a bummer because he has so much personality.
When I got mine it was ridiculously tiny and I trained it to eat in one corner of the tank. When it was hungry thats where it went. Never saw it so much as look at an invert

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regal angel, didnt so much as look at coral whenO had corals in that tank. But its a fowlr for other fish not being behaved now lol

RabidDragon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bah, its hit or miss with a lot of them.

Aptasia filefish: ate my zoa, xenia frags
returned to store

Hippo tang: "reef safe", after being in the tank for 2 years, ate my $400 trach that I spent 6 months looking for within 2 weeks of getting it
returned to store, got a power blue tang as a replacement.

Powder blue tang: "reef safe" after being in the tank for a year: I had a huge colony of zoa's... now its half the size... it is slowly eating them.

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a filefish, he's been mostly fine, tho he did kill a blaso once. My Goldflake angel nips some LPS Corals, but no damage.

My biggest issue is my Valentini Puffer, he's got a taste for acros, but only new additions, which is annoying.

OP
OP
R

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a filefish, he's been mostly fine, tho he did kill a blaso once. My Goldflake angel nips some LPS Corals, but no damage.

My biggest issue is my Valentini Puffer, he's got a taste for acros, but only new additions, which is annoying.
Maybe stressed coral are more appealing? Anything risky that I added to a tank was always the last addition so everything else was well established.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 122 81.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back