River Rock

Vanessa O.

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 23, 2014
Messages
132
Reaction score
1
Location
North Carolina USA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have any of you ever used rock out of a river for your saltwater tanks? All opinions, advice, are welcome. If so, do we treat it some how before using it?
 
It should be fine to use but I would soak it in a mild batch of bleach and ro water. Then you might soak it in ro water for a day or two before adding to tank.
 
I agree with mike - shouldn't be a problem, I'm thinking the disadvantage would be that it's probably pretty dense so less porous for bacterial growth
 
I agree with mike - shouldn't be a problem, I'm thinking the disadvantage would be that it's probably pretty dense so less porous for bacterial growth
Agreed. Not porous enough for beneficial bacteria to colonize, this is the reason we use so much rock.
 
I wouldn't use it for sw. smooth and not very porous. plus it would look very un-natural.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 12 42.9%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 2 7.1%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new