RO/DI plumbed for Drinking water?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

reeferKen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this the way to plumb a RO/DI to make some drinking water? Bypassing the top Reverse Osmosis Membrane, cation and Mixed bed? Or do I go straight across.... including the Cation and mixed bed canisters?

Thanks in advance.
rodi four.jpg

rodi four.jpg

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically, with drinking water systems, we simply by pass the DI resin, but still use the RO membrane. That said, if you'd like to bypass the RO membrane, you have it correct. It would go from source connection -> sediment filter -> carbon block 1 -> carbon block 2 -> then to a tee where you'd be able to switch back and forth from letting the water run through the rest of the system or not.

With most drinking water systems, the order would go source connection -> sediment filter -> carbon block 1 -> carbon block 2 -> RO membrane -> Tee fitting. One end of the tee would go to your drinking reservoir/pressurized tank and the other would go to the DI resin.

OP
OP
R

reeferKen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate it, for Kids..... are their minerals in the product water that are beneficial? I Don't really know what the RO membrane strips out is the reason for asking and wondering to include or not. I read the Dow filmtec 75 PDF and it just mentioned 99% salt rejection. I'm a newbie.

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drinking RO water is actually pretty common. The general consensus is that the DI resin is what removes "too many" minerals from the water. The membrane actually does a really good job removing a lot of undesirable things like heavy metals. Not every single element will get 99% rejected as there are some things that the membrane can remove easier than others.

philosophile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DI water tastes kind of bad. Thinknof it this way: saliva in your mouth has all sorts of stuff in it, and you don't taste it. when you put pure water in your mouth, you're temporarily washing away all minerals and enzymes. normal water still has minerals, which helps the taste. but nothing in your water means your mouth gets no stimulation, which is like being in a soundless envuronment... it's a little off putting, and your senses are straining to experience something. it generally is not pleasant.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back